CISSP Boot Camp Suggestions?

gphilipsgphilips Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking into the possibility of doing a CISSP bootcamp.

First, I've read over the forums, and seen predictably the #1 go to as the SANS course. Unfortunately, my work will not pay THAT much for training/certification, and with tuition looming I can't shell out the $$$ to cover it out of pocket.

I'm on the fence, as I've read most of you feel that the camps are basically directed study, and an overwhelming number of you seem to have passed without the camps. I might end up going this route, as I've already purchased 3 of the books recommended on these forums.

BootCamp wise... personally, I've had a lot of positive experience with CBTXpress, but wasn't sure if anyone had positive experiences with other vendors, particularly with the CISSP camps? SecureNinja? TrainingCamp? InfoSec Institute? etc.

Most importantly, are there any that you feel should be avoided like the plague?

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As someone who's done the bootcamp route, it's not for everyone. It really depends on you, how quickly you are able to absorb the information, and how much time you spend studying. I've seen people take bootcamps after they tried on their own to pass the exam, I've seen first timers, and others with years experience try and fail. Most people pass on either their 2nd/3rd times, so keep that in mind.

Only way you should ever take SANS courses either let work pay for it, or via work study, which is $1200. It's a great deal if you have the money. But I'd go with CISSP

You can do it for a lot cheaper by yourself over a few months time. The CISSP AIO book is always the best, plus the 11th hour books. Look at Transcender for practice exam options, as well as the testing engine that comes with the AIO book. Best advice I ever got when studying is read the book 3x times, because you will miss a lot of important info. If you do fail your first time, remember once you get out of the exam area, write down the exam topics that you got stuck on. That will definitely help prepare you for the next time you sit for the exam.
  • NOVA_USANOVA_USA Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On YouTube look for Larry Greenblatt's CISSP 2017 on the Max Quasar Channel. The Into is free but the other 4 video are $9.99 each. Larry used to be an instructor for Secure Ninja and he has a great reputation. I think he sends you a packet of PDFs after you pay for the course.

I'm going though the Sari Greene videos at Safari Books Online. Taking notes as I go.
    [h=1][/h]
  • destroy8383destroy8383 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did traingingcamp it wasn't bad, it's an official partner of ISC2. If you don't pass you get to sit in another bootcamp for free up to a year. Just make sure you study before you don't rely on learning it all at bootcamp and expect to pass. Almost be exam ready before the bootcamp that was my mistake I didn't pass, passed a few months later but still wish I was almost exam ready before the bootcamp.
  • mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As mentioned previously, you need to know the content before attending bootcamp. Think of the bootcamp as a refresher to your previous studies.
    CISSP
    CISM
  • cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a horrible experience at training camp and take every opportunity to share it. My instructor was pathetic in his own right, but the bottom line, ISC2 controls the content for training camp and it is *way* to broad. Not to mention that the ISC2 course content, which they produce and give to Training Camp (slide decks, lecture, student guide - the joke "flash cards") is ABISMALLY, inexcusably bad. (errors, contradictions, poor writing, horrible diagrams) No one should be teaching to the test, but no one should be teaching material, that by all accounts (I have not tested), is not on the exam either. I wish I'd taken SANS. Two other coworkers have had good experience with InfoSec Institute's hands-on CISSP class - both passed on first attempt. In our training camp we had a number of "repeats" (those who already sat once, failed exam, and were back) and all seemed to have done a fair amount of self study before their FIRST "camp". I realize that the CISSP is so broad that no "bootcamp" can prepare you to be successful without prior self-study - but ISC2/Training-camp is weird about what they do and don't teach in the class. We were told by our instructor, that instructors are penalized, and actually NOT allowed to teach for 6 months or year (don't recall for sure which - but the point is the same) AFTER taking/retaking the exam. There is such a "Chinese wall" between the instructors, the content developers, and those who develop the exam that the material almost seems incoherent. Again, I am not talking about not receiving help on the actual exam, but the CISSP CBK is known as an inch deep and a mile wide. The ISC2 materials seems more like it is intentionally 10 miles wide to purposely obfuscate things...

I consider Training Camp a colossal waste of time and money that actually set back my study by making me question everything I'd already learned. Nothing there was in anyway superior (or even close) to the Sybex books and the things I went hoping for clarity on I left more confused about. The course guide was the absolute worst I've every received (in about 18 IT training classes) over my career. I understand it based on the ISC2 CBK book (just printed in a larger, softback format), a book which receives 31% 1 star ratings on Amazon. Add in the 2 stars and a whopping 40% of the reviews are lousy.

As a bonus, the "training camp" material is extra. So, after training for an entire day you are supposed to go back for several more hours. (Makes sense - its a "bootcamp") The only thing is that apparently (in my experience and what also what was related to me by the repeats) the instructors don't get paid extra to put in the additional time, so they actively try to talk students out of staying, and even allowed our *entire* class (both ISC2 students who did NOT pay for extra content, and the Training camp students who did) to ALL vote on whether to stay. Now why would students who didn't even pay for content be allowed to vote as to whether that content was to be delivered?! The nights we pitched a fit to stay, the training camp material was rushed through and disparaged the entire time by the instructor.

I've seen some decent reviews of Training camp, before and after I took mine. I'm relating my experience and opinion, and what was shared with me by the repeat students in my class.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like bootcamp, but I don't think it is the best for CISSP. CISSP is a concept exam, not a very practical one where a bootcamp give you a lot of hands-on in a few days.

CISSP is better done by reading and understanding concept, not by getting thrown at you slide after slide...
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Only way you should ever take SANS courses either let work pay for it, or via work study, which is $1200. It's a great deal if you have the money.

Just want to point out that it’s at $1,500 right now.

As others have said, I would avoid bootcamps and stick to what has worked for many here.
  • tkreagantkreagan Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did a boot camp and found it quite helpful, TBH.

Mine was through Learning Tree, so it was official and used the ISC material. Agree the ISC material was terrible, but the instructor was very good and able to highlight what would in fact be on the test and how it would be asked. I would not walk into the camp cold - you need to have a strong background or at least have studied in advance - but it definitely helped me.

Also, for everyone talking about concepts and the need to be high level - that is true, but this is just as much a test of your ability to answer the test. So the specific guidance I got in boot camp - people are always the problem, first step is always to follow procedure, etc. - was really helpful.
  • gphilipsgphilips Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all.

I've had success by attending boot camps before, so I'm certainly not opposed to it. That being said, I'm working through the Sybex book now, then on to some of the practice exams and videos you've all mentioned.