Catalyst 2908's

D-RodD-Rod Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all this is my first post but by reading this forum I have begun to set up a home lab. I just bought 2 -2501's, 1 - 2503 and 1 -2504 all maxed out @ 16 & 16 and running 12.2 IOS.

Now the switches is where I'm confused about. I know the 2950's are optimal but what about the 2900 series? The 2950's are out of my price range for right now. I can get two 2908's with 4 meg memory and an IOS of 11.2. Will this help with all the switching features of the CCNA? Can it possibly help somewhat with CCNP switching?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    D-Rod wrote:
    Now the switches is where I'm confused about. I know the 2950's are optimal but what about the 2900 series?
    If those 2908s are all you can afford, then yes, with the enterprise IOS versions they will help out with most, if not all of the switching features on the CCNA. Check out the docs on the Cisco web site -- you should check out all the model numbers and IOS version available in the 2900 XL series.

They would still be useful for the CCNP (BCMSN) if you add a 2950 and a 3550. icon_eek.gif But you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • D-RodD-Rod Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One last question, would you rather get the 2 2908's with the 11.2 IOS or 1 2924 with a 12.0 IOS? It is my understanding from some of the research I have done that 12.0 definitely has all the commands needed while 11.2 might be missing some VTP commands/functions? But then I'm sure have 2 switches as opposed to 1 would make a difference also.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    D-Rod wrote:
    2 switches as opposed to 1 would make a difference also.
    You can't do much switching with just one switch. icon_lol.gif

For OSPF DR/DBR elections any old switch or hub works -- but then that's just routing. For switching, 2 switches will let you see and do STP and VTP and most of what else you need to do (port security).

As for the IOS upgrade issue -- you should cross that bridge when you get to it.

Hey -- I've used the crossing the bridge thing twice... in a switch discussion... shouldn't there be a pun or a punch line somewhere? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • D-RodD-Rod Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see you have a nice list of certs. Hopefully someday I will be there.