Options

How old is too old for IT

Justinag98Justinag98 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I was wondering what the different opinions are out there. I have about 20 years of IT experience all together, but left to pursue other interests for awhile. Im being told in interviews that i dont have recent experience basically in last couple of years. Im taking cert courses for ceh, cissp and ccna as well as applying to WGU. My question is this, im in my 40's trying to get back into IT field and working towards certs, am I too old to be essentially starting over or should I keep moving along? How old is too old for IT?

Comments

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No such things as too old. I have had lots of coworkers in the 60's who are able to contribute without issue. As long as you are able to pass the certs, land a job, and perform the required work you shouldn't worry!!
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe it is actually 99.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Short Answer: Depends on your pay requirements. If you are coming from a high paying trade, it may not be worth dropping down in pay just to reach the same pay 10 years later. But then again, it may be depending on the trade. For example, if you were in the oil fields dirty and sweaty making 120k a year and working 80+ hours, it may make sense to get a desk job making 60k and moving back up to 120k.

Long Answer: But if its something you enjoy, you're never too old. I've been a Salesman at circuit city, Technician, Screener, Help Desk Tier 1, Project Manager, Networking and Security Administrator, and I have seen people come and go from every walk and age of life. Best thing to do is find a entryish-level job in IT and just work your way up. I mean, don't start at the bottom, but based on your certs it seems you are leaning towards networking or security, and it would be easy to find a security/risk analyst job or networking technician/admin job which should offer decent pay. But just prepare to move. Ive seen so many people rot away in a small town waiting for that one big IT gig, when 200 miles in any direction there is amazing opportunities waiting.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say if you can no longer see very well WITH glasses or you have trouble driving.....then you are probably to old for IT and many more things as well.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The official cut off age is 23. if You don't have a CISSP by 23, your better suited as a Walmart greeter.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your gap in IT employment would be a problem no matter the age. Being open to shorter term non-permanent gigs would greatly increase your chances of getting something now to fill in the "recent experience" checkbox later on.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    The official cut off age is 23. if You don't have a CISSP by 23, your better suited as a Walmart greeter.

D'oh! It's best I find this out now otherwise I would have set myself up for another 30 years of disappointment.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm OLDDDD GREGGGGGG - easy little fuzzy man peach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZo9ugJTWQ
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Well..depends..if you are going into Hardware, you will need strength and good eyes (at least good glasses). For Networking, you will need to be on foot half of your work week going from site to sites.
    I recommend you get into Data Science..such as Data Analyst because it doesn't involve lifting things or walking. Another field that don't need too many activities, and sit around all day is Programming.
    Good Luck and never give up on your dreams.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you're dead.

It's the skillset that matters most, if your skills aren't current then you will be usually passed over for someone who can hit the ground running. If your skills are falling behind, it will probably take more focus & concentration to get up to speed compared with a younger version of you. (Guess what - as you read this, you are falling behind.) It's really up to you how much time & energy you want to spend on endeavors. I would never rule it out, though.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Age shouldn't matter but unfortunately, some employer will discriminate but don't let that stop you. It may be different for someone in there 40's just starting than someone who has been working in IT in there 40's with 20 years experience but still don't let that stop you. There were students in my class in there 40's just starting IT or looking to get back in and no one blinked an eye.
  • Options
    twingo100twingo100 Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm 47 and having a 3 year career break (I wanted to do some other things) I'm just getting back into it, prior to that I had 25 years investment bank IT experience. What I would say is carry on with the certs

But also work on your linkedin profile and make sure it is well layed out with digital badges if you have any of them, make sure your cv is spot on and if possible pay for some to go over it, I had mine reviewed today and they came back with some very valid points.

Also read and prepare for interviews, the James Innes series of books are great.

I had my 1st interview in 22 years a couple of weeks and actually got turned down for the job as I was to go, however on the plus side they invited me back to interview for a management roll
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    99.5 (I am 58 and still going strong...)
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    99.5 (I am 58 and still going strong...)

Darn. I was hoping to go until 100. But, I guess that 6 months off might be good for my old bones when I get there.

I'm 42 and am doing fine. I am a bit worried about people saying that places prefer younger people, but not too much worry. Just keep up with those certs and get some contract work in, and you're pretty much back in IT for HR purposes (steady IT employment). You have a lot of experience, it's the gaps that will get anyone, regardless of age.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    forget the employment gap. 20 years is too many to not count.

keep pumping certs. that'll show how current you are.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree