Options

Has anyone here Started there own MSP or consultant firm.

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hola all,

I'm in the process of building a managed service provider. My initial offering will be data and image backups to the cloud with optional DR features for servers . My vertical I want to focus on is health care (medical, dental and mental health) but I will target any professional organization because they care the most about there data. I eventually would like to offer security monitoring and IAM management as a service, And server migration as well. We will be a Amazon shop. If you have any tips or advice please let me know.
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of the difficulty to work with Amazon is that their business partner program is hard to get into for a small firm. The first year, you became a Registered Partner, in that year, you need to get 2 person accreditate on Business and Tech (online training and test). Then you need 2 associate AWS certified (Architect, or Sysop, or dev). Then you will need to pay the 2500$ yearly fee + Business support
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah i saw that my rep never mentioned that i had to have it done in one year
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    ErindErind Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

As said above you will need to take a look at the platform. AWS or Azzure pretty much are a no-no for the solution you want to offer as they are too expensive. Backup and DR services offered in the cloud from MSPs are pretty much from small providers that offer good prices. Most of them have their own cloud solutions if they can afford it or through third parties by joining non competing MSP (from other states) and share a plan. From what I've seen most of them use Veeam or Acronis as software and they can offer those services pretty cheap. Also keep in mind that healthcare providers have a ton of HIPAA regulations about data that you need to be compliant to
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've started one, and still work for it. You have to chceck the fee's as someone mentioned to see if its feesable. I used to be a cisco partner when I first started, but the cost of the gear and exams needed where too high. So I still keep my techincal certs up for consulting work, but when dealing with the SMB market I started to use open source software for my customers. I found a few products that fit and learned them well enough to offer services based around them. My margins are much higher and the cost to my customer much lower. Now that 0365 and Skype for business are around and much cheaper I'm learning how to mangage those as products for my customers.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just some things to think about.

I have one started up within the past few months. There's a lot of work, much more than just knowing the technology and can you afford to operate for awhile as you build clients. I'm a small business owner first and a tech second. I have a wife to pay most of the bills so thats a huge help, I do however still have some income that I must create to survive. My first priority has been to fill that gap and I'm happy to say I've been able to do that through various means that directly relate to my business (ie no part time job). I very much suck at selling and sales in general and since I know that I'm about to start putting out ads for a sales person.

As for doing medical companies, I personal am going to try to avoid them here in my market. I just don't want the extra liability involved with HIPPA, etc. Maybe when I've been operating a few years. I'm targeting other professionals, and small businesses on general IT needs and adding cloud solutions soon.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, I love talking tech and business and the wife doesn't icon_lol.gif