Options

CCIE Journey for Junior Network Admin

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I was looking at getting some advice on thoughts on starting the CCIE journey whilst very new to the field.

So im a junior network admin working in an international mid sized finance business. Been in the role for about 6 months now and have attained the CCNA and PA ACE during my time.

My goal is to be a senior network engineer/architect (master of my craft) and obtain the infamous CCIE cert.

Now I know paperwork means nothibg beyond HR, and experience is key, but i was hoping to share my plan and wanted to get some opinions who have been through the journey, "or been round the block as one would say".

I plan on getting the CCNP completed in a year or so and then moving on to the CCIE which i plan to get in 2 years or so. By then I will have 4 or years experience in networking.

I know its said the CCIE shouldnt be attempted without 5 to 10 years experience already in the field, but let me put this forward, is it any worse than being a uni degree holder with a masters or PHD in networking (if there is one) with no world experience at all?

I know its not going to be easy, plus im not too smart to begin with ( not putting myself down, just didnt do well in school and didnt go to uni, im 21 btw) but I feel i will be able to put the countless hours before work/ after work, and on the weekends, plus putting the skills and lab sims I do whilst learning into practise at work.

So the question is this, whilst I know a CCIE with minimal experience wont be able to demand £60k upwards salary, would it be so bad for my career if i do obtain it "earlier" than usual?

I feel it can only help my career, as it will allow me to just build on the skills and knowledge from then onwards.

Thanks
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You will be fine...you will be a mid engineer or greater by the time it’s all said and done. Also, something like the CCIE is way different in that you have to actually prove your expertise in order to pass, not just take a multiple choice exam...this demands a higher degree of respect regardless of your level of experience.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you'll have to worry about obtaining CCIE too soon. 4 years of networking experience + CCIE is a great combination. I've never heard of anyone having issues because they obtained a CCIE too soon.

Just make sure you rising up the ranks as a network engineer along the way. That way you accompany that certification growth with professional growth.

I think you have a good plan, and you are already in a great position to continue progressing.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    OP,

It's never too soon. We hired a CCIE, with no experience.

For advice, I am in the middle of studying for CCIE DC. I would say set up a weekly study schedule. Make it analogous to being at work. There are certain times you only work on it. Then, just commit to the process. IE: just accept during this time/schedule you study, and work to move forward.

Also, the schedule helps because if you do feel a little burn out creeping in, you don't feel guilty when watching a movie, or other recreation, when it's not your study time. That will help you enjoy your free time, and focus more during your study time.

HTH.

-Nutsy
  • Options
    pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot guys, youve all given tremendous advice and motivation, I look forward to the CCNP Journey, then the Hell and Heaven that comes with the CCIE journey, will keep you all posted :)
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB