Options

Accepted temp job, still go to another interview?

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm 19 and just accepted a 4 month temp job at a pretty good local company on service desk. However, I also have a 2nd interview today for a permanent position. I would like to see out this temp position until the end, which lead me to the question. Should I still go to this 2nd interview? Thx

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go, the company with the temp job will have no qualms about ending it early or before it even starts.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to the interview. Always take permanent over temp unless you want to be a contractor.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree, you owe the temp job nothing, your a disposable employee to them. Even if the temp job was a multiyear contract, perm is almost always better then temp positions.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll just add that since you have the [sense] of security with the temp job you will definitely interview differently than before when you were just trying to land anything.

During the interview they will ask why you're leaving your current job/looking for a new job and just explain that you're about to start a 4 month temp gig and interested in something in which you can grow into long-term. Here are a couple of potential scenarios if you take this interview:
    • If they have an immediate opening and it goes great and everything is a fit then I wouldn't hesitate.
    • Maybe it goes well but they have a lengthy hiring process (background checks, etc.) and can hold off for 4 months and you can do both
    • Maybe you have some of the skills they want but they decide to move forward with other candidates--ask them about reapplying and coming back after your temp job and you've gained more experience/skills relevant to the full time job. you could also take some self-study training/certs during this time to make you more attractive to the employer and show that you're serious
    • It's not a good fit and you just work the temp job and move onto the next employer
    Good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll just add that since you have the [sense] of security with the temp job you will definitely interview differently than before when you were just trying to land anything.

Yup. It's nice to go into a interview when you are not hard up for a job. Use that confidence (not to be confused with cockiness) to your advantage. I would always recommend taking a permanent position over a temporary one- provided the opportunity to learn is still there. However this will still allow you to look at the permanent job more objectively.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course! Go
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go, even though it might be good experience, the temp thing doesn't sound like long-term stability. If it's only 4 months, you might as well be interviewing elsewhere anyway because you might end up with no job after the temp thing has run its course.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go just to check it out. Keep in mind if the position was just contract than the client will always be first. I've seen this happen the client is first and the employee gets tossed under the boss. Of course it can happen in any setting but I'd rather have a direct hire or at least a contract to hire.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    Ben1373,

Go apply, and accept it, if it comes through. Don't feel guilty. Companies hire contractors so they can fire them, and keep costs low. It's business. Do what's right for you. If anyone at your current gig tries to guilt you into staying, they're only looking our for themselves.

As a side note: any time someone moves on, I usually congratulate them on the new gig. You want to be around people who are moving up, not staying stuck, or holding you back.

HTH.

-Nutsy
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    especially where you live, I would take the permanent role in a heartbeat.

In your contract, and the nature of contracts, the employer and the contract agency can drop you with no reason at all. Idk how it is over there but thats how it is in the states.

Plus, youre 19. Id expect you to just flake on me and leave whenever.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree