Options

Tagline: "Recent Grad" vs. Experienced Professional

SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm about 16 credits shy of finishing my BSCIA at WGU and this got me thinking...

I've been in the IT / security workforce since I graduated high school (seven years now), but will now soon be a "Recent Grad". I know there's tons of users on here who have been in this position and I'm curious how your newly-earned education factored into your resume branding and how it worked out for you.

Did you play up the "Recent Grad" aspect, despite having prior experience?

Did you simply add it onto your resume, but continue as an "Experienced Professional"?

Pros / cons of either avenue of approach?

I'm also curious if anybody has directly applied to / received any "Recent Grad" jobs, despite already having a sizable amount of experience.

Looking forward to hearing your stories!
LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like you, I did the cert route first, then completed my BS degree. What's your current experience in the field, and what are you looking to get out of the degree when applying for new jobs? You have the "Experienced Professional" down, question is what do you want to get into next.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't been in this situation but I don't think applying to "Recent Grad" jobs is the correct path. You have experience in the field and should continue with the "Experienced Professional" type of positions. If you were getting a degree in a different field and changing careers I would change that but that's not your case here.

Those "Recent Grad" jobs will be entry level positions and you'd be "over qualified". Also, those positions are highly unlikely to match up with your salary requirements.

Resume-wise I'd just add the new degree to your education section and wouldn't change a whole lot. You already have the experience/skills and the degree supplements that and gets you through the HR barriers. If during interviews the employers ask about what you've been doing lately to progress then you can delve into some of the details about recently completing your degree.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I started my professional IT career in 1998 (dang, it's been 20 years). I completed my undergrad in 2005. At that point the degree meant nothing else that a check mark. It makes zero sense to me to play as "recent grad" when someone has ample experience under their belt. I would argue that the "recent grad" connotation would be more detrimental than not, mostly with those that spend seconds looking at a resume. By the time you factor in Applicant Tracking Systems, nothing good can come out of it.
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input, y'all!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said, why would you ever refer to yourself in the recent grad category if you have experience? You will get paid less...
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the recent grad angle several years back. At the time I was career changing and had no IT experience. I downplayed and omitted much of my prior work experience so my resume wouldn't be skipped. I only wish I could have taken the experienced professional angle, but no experience existed. It worked, but I had to suck it up and take a pay cut for about a year or so.

Definitely don't do recent grad.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP