Options

Dilemma about new job offer

azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I would like to know some advise on what would majority of people do in this scenario and what should i do
I am currently working in Toronto Full time as Jr. Network Admin on Salary CAD 54000 with benefits etc. I am offered a contract position Network administrator in different company, which pay 45 an hour for 6 month ( will roughly make 42500 with taxes).No benefits nothing. Now my position i feel like more of helpdesk guy than an actual network admin. From the job the description of this Network admin contract role, it seems like i may get to learn new technology.

However most likely, i will be without a job after 6 month(confirmed by employer as this is a 6 month only contract). But in 6 month i will make close to my full time jobs full year's salary ( close enough ill say) . Also my full time job is literally 10 mins away from home while contract job commute will be 1 HR one way everyday
I am so confused as which path to stick on. I will appreciate your advises :)

Comments

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That difference in commute is what seals it for me, I'd never give up a ten minute commute for an hour-long commute...
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stay with the 10 minute commute and job...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not worth it, imo. The commute + no guarantee of employment beyond 6 months + no benefits is giving up way too much for the possibility that you might be involved with new stuff. You could take that extra time you have now with the 10 min commute and go find some training for whatever it is that you want to become knowledgeable in. Much better use of resources, imo.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay with the job you have. Salary cut and longer commute = no bueno.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Plus that commute could end up more than an hour..which totally BITES. Life is too short for that crap.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    I agree with the above that it isn't worth it. If you want to confirm what we are suggesting Google, "The cost of commuting." You should find some blog articles, and such, that give some computations about what it's really costing you to commute. That should give you a fairly accurate view of the financial costs. HTH.
  • Options
    UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed with everyone else. Stay with your current job but keep looking for a job that is better and pays more. It might take 6 months but will be worth it.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,051 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i have to Disagree with everyone else.

Are you tired of your current job?
    Have you hit the ceiling in terms of "what you can learn" at your current position?
    (You say you are honestly kinda a helpdesk guy)

Do you think that you are really qualified for this NetworkAdministrator job?
    Will you have the opportunity (and time) to touch new technologies & learn from people willing to teach you?
    (or will you be By Yourself & expected to Already know Everything?)

If the answers are all YES; then i say Go for it.

1 hour commutes suck;
    but if you can really gain essential knowledge/skills... it will pay off in the longterm.

Plus, its only 6 months.
    After your contract is over, you can hunt for a new job back in Toronto.

In theory,
    you will havea few more options thanks to your increased skills.

Worst case,
    it takes you 6 months of hunting to find another helpdesk-guy job.

Actually,
    the "Worst case" is that you get Fired from the new job 2-weeks after starting (because you don't have the technical skills to do the work).

So.. you definitely have to be honest with yourself.

Questions:
    How long have you been in your current Jr Network position?
    How many years of EXP do you have?

If a company is offering $45/hour.... they may be expecting someone with Senior-level knowledge.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,051 ■■■■■■■■□□
    from earlier 11/2015 thread:
    azi90 wrote: »
    No No, may be i should have put more details in my last post regarding Certificate.

Its true i work may be 2 hours out of my 12 hours shift and rest goes down in drain doing nothing.

problem with my getting CCNA is that, i want it bad. really bad. But i need tutoring. As i literally have 0 knowledge of networking and watching videos online doesn't help. I had in my mind that i will find tutoring and along with that ill practice what i learn, at work. But i am unable to locate tutoring that can accommodate to my schedule in some way( like mid afternoon class). its either they are super early or late evening(during my shift). That is only the problem. What i am thinking of doing is may be using my vacation days so i can go attand classes for few weeks...

I saw your resume from 2016...
    it looks like you've made great strides the past couple of years.

Obviously, the choice is yours.
    And if the Toronto IT market is really bad... it makes it that much riskier.

But i say go for it.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll play devil's advocate.

Its almost imperative to move around in IT in order to grow, get raises, and gain experience. If you have the ability to take riskier contract jobs earlier in your career, you should because it will speed up your career progression. This is assuming that you don't have a houseful of mouths to feed as well. Not to mention, its only 6 months, and if your level of knowledge gain and pleasure with your work is 10 fold better than the dead in job you have now then its a no brainer. Five months into this contract start looking for another gig. Even if it takes two months, you've made in 7 months what you're previous job paid in 12, and had 4 weeks of study time or vacation.

If you can afford the risk, I say jump.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    i agree with the posts to jump. dont be lazy this early on in your career. I know people driving 1.5hrs each way from other cities. to do what? TOUCH NEW TECH, LEARN NEW THINGS, NOT BE A JR. its your choice. The real worse case scenario is that you stay comfortable in your existing job, not learning anything. and just being a glorified help desk tech.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Currently i counter offered asking for 50k for 6 months instead of 42500 for 6 months. Reason behind because i was going to be in loss as i had to add travel time + cost + parking cost + no benefits medical cost etc.

Chances are slim to none that they will agree but hoping for the best.
  • Options
    Hahah yeah, I landed a hybrid role in 2016 which is helpdesk/system admin/network admin. A little bit of all. So i did learn some techs here but its doesnt seem enough to push me further in the career.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    from earlier 11/2015 thread:

I saw your resume from 2016...
    it looks like you've made great strides the past couple of years.

Obviously, the choice is yours.
    And if the Toronto IT market is really bad... it makes it that much riskier.

But i say go for it.
    my 2 cents