Options

IT structure?

troys3troys3 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
We have 5 employee's in the IT dept that support approx 330 users. We mostly use netware, but we do have 3 AD domains with one of them being quiet large. Everyone in our dept has never really worked in another IT dept so we don't have a real grasp on how we should be structured. The IT manager doesn't do anything except surf the internet, isn't that par for the course on IT managers? so there are really only 4 of us that actually work. One of the remaining 4 is our immediate supervisor and he is usually busy with new projects, etc. Another one is our main help desk. He answers the phone and usually can help resolve the simple issues. That leaves the two of us to really work on issues that may arise and do some project work.

Everyone is an admin, including the help desk guy. Everyone can and will manage the domains, whether it's edirectory or AD. There are no "Sys Admins". We are all classified as network technicians. wth? Is this normal practice? I would think in a place like this you would have a sys admin who would look over any problems that concerned AD or edirectory and would fill in as 3rd level help. Would it not be feasible to have one of us do this and the other one a help desk admin? What is the norm for a place this size?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, your situation seems way off the norm. Very unorganized and haphazard from the way you describe it. And you say only 330 users, but running netware and 3 AD domains? I think your whole IT department needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There are too many options and variables for someone like me (on the outside) to tell you what would work best in your case. It seems like you are on the right track with your thinking though. Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.