Options

Studying LPIC1 and LPIC2 before RHCSA? Is it waste of time?

zodiarkzodiark Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, just want to get some suggestions.

I just finished studying Linux Essentials and I'm in the process of polishing my basic Linux skills.

On my path to RHCSA certification, what I actually set on my study time line are: Linux Essentials > LPIC1 > RHCSA then probably get my certification by next year.

While browsing some forums, I found out that some suggestion says skip the LPIC series and go directly to RHCSA. Some other says Linux Essentials then LPIC1 and LPIC2 then RHCSA.

Is it worth it to add LPIC2 from my original study time line?

What are your thoughts about it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know... There are a lot more job ads asking for Red Hat than LPI, but I feel like the LPIC-1 taught me more useful skills than most of my certs. Couldn't hurt to read through the info to get the basics of Debian under your belt, even if you don't take the test.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say study the LPIC material but skip the test as their certs don't seem to have much market value unlike Red Hat ones.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not follow this path instead LFCS>>>RHCSA
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I actually read up on the Linux Essential/LPIC-1 topics. I was reviewing the Linux+ Sybex book as if I was studying and preparing to take the exams when in fact I didn't. After being burned by the ROI from some of my older certs that are now expired, I couldn't afford to make the same mistake, wasting money on certs that only test your written knowledge such as multiple choices/fill-in-the-blank.

So after I was done reviewing, I started the RHCSA and passed it after a while. Glad I made this decision. You can use the same approach for any certs if you don't want to actually spend money to take the exams, but to learn the materials to fill in the knowledge gaps.
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LPI certs pack good knowledge and are vendor neutral but not as well known as Red Hat.

Red Hat exams including RHCSA are hands-on, no questions. Your experience with RHEL and practise in labs really matters.
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go straight for RHCSA. While you will build and tear down your lab you will learn alot and many of the troubleshooting you will do in the process will help you on the job later. As for the market value Red Hat certs dont have oponent on the Linux side. In the last year I kept interviewing people for both entry level sysadmins and experienced ones.

Red Hat certified guys always were better than LPIC ones. Got one or 2 that were both and hired them but the interviewing experience confirmed me that learning for RH certs helps you on the tehnical side.
    Experience matters but when interviewing for entry level(experience was not required) I could not find 1 LPIC guy that I could hire.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this depends on what you already know. If you're new to Linux, I'd say study the materials, but skip the exam/certs for LPIC-1 and LPIC-2. But you certainly can learn from the material. If this is all review for you or such, then it's up to you.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    zodiarkzodiark Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate all of the responses.

I've decided to include LPIC-2 to my original study time line.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    alexkurbanalexkurban Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that yyour path is the best path, specially if you have the Sander van Vugt's Videos (Livelessons).

Sybex book is good and i read a lot of positive opinions of this one>
    https://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Linux-System-Administration-Handbook/dp/0134277554/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534489057&sr=1-1&keywords=unix+and+linux+system+administration+handbook

• Options
    andrew_69andrew_69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've read the LPIC 1 and 2 text books. They aren't bad.

But to be honest, save your self the time and just study the RHCSA and RHCE course material.

Watch the videos, read a book and practice a lot on the command line.

Also do a bash programming course as well.

Thats the quickest route to where you want to go.

I was given this exact advice when I started my Linux career tow years ago and I came to the decisio that I like the LPIC as it was vendor neutral.

As true as this is.... it's much better to focus on the Red Hat stuff as it's focused and industry recognised.

Plenty of time after passing the exams to play with Debian later. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Learn_everythingLearn_everything Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'am also studying for the LPIC-1 exams. Does someone have good tips regarding online video material?

Many thanks in advance.