Up for a possible promotion

knapaxeknapaxe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I'm still relatively new here and only have a couple posts under my belt but I'm hitting a bit of a major opportunity for my career that I would hate to screw up. I'm being recommended to become the new supervisor of the local IT team where I work.

Here's a little lead up to where I find myself. I work for a company that has several large facilities across the US. In the facility in another state, the IT supervisor quit with relatively short notice. He was the company's resident Windows Server expert. A week later the supervisor here was offered a transfer to that facility. That was all around the end of November. Fast forward to this week. I'm talking with him and he says he's recommending me as his replacement for the local team. We've both been open about our career goals and this would put me ahead of my 5 year goals. This Wednesday he is making the announcement and the posting for the local supervisor position is put up by HR.

We handle tier 1 and 2 issues and, at least for the local IT team, assist with the other facilities across the company. I'm the most senior member of the local team and have been given access and authority beyond the rest of the local IT team; sort of a middle point between tech and supervisor for both. I'm guaranteed an interview and I know my current supervisor is likely to be on my interview panel as well.

I hope to receive advice from this community on this or at least be my rubber duckies in my preparation.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What kind of advice you need? It doesn't seem like you are stuck in a fork or have any major dilemmas about which way to go. If they recommend you for the position and they offer you the job anf you also want it then go for it.

One thing to consider is that as you move up so does your responsibilities, a lot of people want those supervisor and managerial position and the pay increase that comes along without the additional responsibilities that come with the job. If you are ready then go for it.
  • unrealskillz06unrealskillz06 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I imagine that you're a little intimidated by the opportunity because you weren't expecting to be in that position (until 5 years) by your timeline. Its a learning experience. You'll get in the role and figure it out. Some people wish they were given that opportunity and you got it. Get in there, learn and perform.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knapaxe wrote: »
    I'm talking with him and he says he's recommending me as his replacement for the local team. We've both been open about our career goals and this would put me ahead of my 5 year goals.

I'm the most senior member of the local team and have been given access and authority beyond the rest of the local IT team; sort of a middle point between tech and supervisor for both.

Sounds like this should've be alot earlier than a 5 year goal... (unless you were planning on waiting at that position until the current person left) Either way best of luck!

I would work on coming up with stories where you exceeded, improved processes, or overcame difficult situations in your current role. Maybe a situation where were not able do something on your own and how you handled that situation as well.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hello all. I'm still relatively new here and only have a couple posts under my belt but I'm hitting a bit of a major opportunity for my career that I would hate to screw up. I'm being recommended to become the new supervisor of the local IT team where I work.

Here's a little lead up to where I find myself. I work for a company that has several large facilities across the US. In the facility in another state, the IT supervisor quit with relatively short notice. He was the company's resident Windows Server expert. A week later the supervisor here was offered a transfer to that facility. That was all around the end of November. Fast forward to this week. I'm talking with him and he says he's recommending me as his replacement for the local team. We've both been open about our career goals and this would put me ahead of my 5 year goals. This Wednesday he is making the announcement and the posting for the local supervisor position is put up by HR.

We handle tier 1 and 2 issues and, at least for the local IT team, assist with the other facilities across the company. I'm the most senior member of the local team and have been given access and authority beyond the rest of the local IT team; sort of a middle point between tech and supervisor for both. I'm guaranteed an interview and I know my current supervisor is likely to be on my interview panel as well.

I hope to receive advice from this community on this or at least be my rubber duckies in my preparation.

Sounds like a great opportunity. I'd advise 2 things:

Be ready for tough questions like "You've been here a few years, what would you do differently than your former supervisor?"

Have some tough questions lined up for them: "What do you see as the best value this role could provide in the first year?"
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Internal promotions can be a tricky thing. Is there potential for resentment from another member of the team? Some people are of the opinion they should get promoted based on tenure rather than ability. Not something you should turn the promotion down for but certainly something to watch for.
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I was in the position to make the decision this would be my concern.

The thing being you are equal to your peers now.

How do you get along?
    How do you think they will treat you if all of a sudden one day you're their superior?
    Some people may become jealous and not want to listen to you, how will you handle that?
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »

Be ready for tough questions like "You've been here a few years, what would you do differently than your former supervisor?"

Have some tough questions lined up for them: "What do you see as the best value this role could provide in the first year?"

+1 to this advice. I was asked almost these exact questions before I was offered my current role as a team lead recently.
    Questions such as:

"What skills do you feel like you would be bringing to the team and how do you plan to utilize them?"
    "Describe your previous work experience and what you can use from that to add to the knowledge of the team."

And don't forget the most important question:

"What were you looking to get compensation wise for this role?"
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • knapaxeknapaxe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote:
    What kind of advice you need? It doesn't seem like you are stuck in a fork or have any major dilemmas about which way to go. If they recommend you for the position and they offer you the job anf you also want it then go for it.
    I think my most immediate hurdle is the interview. My supervisor has told me to expect difficult questions. I'm also told all of IT management and some supervisors will be on the panel, including, possibly, my supervisor.
    I imagine that you're a little intimidated by the opportunity because you weren't expecting to be in that position (until 5 years) by your timeline. Its a learning experience. You'll get in the role and figure it out. Some people wish they were given that opportunity and you got it. Get in there, learn and perform.
    That is an accurate summation. I know very well this is an uncommon and much hoped for opportunity. My biggest fear right now is I'll fumble in the process. I'm confident I'll be able to step into the roll with relative ease. My coping process is diving into studying and prepping as much as I can. I was planning on completing my MCSA Server 2012 towards the end of the year but am leaning towards prioritizing that to finish it sooner. The supervisor that quit was the company's Windows Server expert and I am hoping I can ease into that role with this promotion.
    Sounds like this should've be alot earlier than a 5 year goal... (unless you were planning on waiting at that position until the current person left) Either way best of luck!

I would work on coming up with stories where you exceeded, improved processes, or overcame difficult situations in your current role. Maybe a situation where were not able do something on your own and how you handled that situation as well.
    Yes. I was considering taking advantage of my additional responsibilities as applicable experience with another company later on. The company I'm at has had recent trouble hiring management type positions from outside.

Stories shouldn't be too bad I think. That is definitely something I'll think on. I've continually put myself out into projects and been available for any situation the company or team has needed me for.
    Ertaz wrote:

Noting those. I'll be contemplating on questions both to and from me. I'd hate to micro manage any of my coworkers but I've been fearing I'll have to crack down on one or two of them. There are a few issues with some of the team I will have to handle with finesse. There is a known addition to the team's responsibilities coming later this year that one team member has been incredibly opposed to.
    EANx wrote:
    Internal promotions can be a tricky thing. Is there potential for resentment from another member of the team? Some people are of the opinion they should get promoted based on tenure rather than ability. Not something you should turn the promotion down for but certainly something to watch for.
    Queue wrote:
    How do you get along?
    How do you think they will treat you if all of a sudden one day you're their superior?
    Some people may become jealous and not want to listen to you, how will you handle that?
    Those are among my concerns but I think it won't be so bad. At least for the local team, we have a strong sense of camaraderie. I do anticipate some amount of contention though. I imagine that to be a normal part of internal promotion. There is also a new hire that has only been with the company... a week and a half. He is the greatest wild card to me.
    McxRisley wrote:
    +1 to this advice. I was asked almost these exact questions before I was offered my current role as a team lead recently.
    Questions such as:

"What skills do you feel like you would be bringing to the team and how do you plan to utilize them?"
    "Describe your previous work experience and what you can use from that to add to the knowledge of the team."

And don't forget the most important question:

"What were you looking to get compensation wise for this role?"
    Compensation is not an issue. HR here is different than what I've seen at other companies. Raises are entirely non-negotiable. That said, I do know about how much more I'll be getting. I know I would have been offered a team lead position already if the company would create it. Every time my our supervisor travels, I'm placed as the de facto authority for the team.

I'll work on all these questions and suggestions in my notes over my weekend.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the opportunity and run with it. Your current boss thinks you will be a good fit otherwise he wouldn't recommend you.

good Luck.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a risk taker, I'd be more than glad to take that challenge, go ahead and do it.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remember the Richard Branson quote about opportunity, if someone offers you an opportunity, take it, and learn how to do it.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Remember the Richard Branson quote about opportunity, if someone offers you an opportunity, take it, and learn how to do it.

I agree. Until you realise this opportunity, it will always be another what if?
  • knapaxeknapaxe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After almost a month of cautiously optimistic waiting, I got called in for a meeting between the regional and HR managers and was offered the supervisor position. Hello, world of salary and being on call all the time. Thank you all for your advice and input. The extent of this promotion is still sinking in for me.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After almost a month of cautiously optimistic waiting, I got called in for a meeting between the regional and HR managers and was offered the supervisor position. Hello, world of salary and being on call all the time. Thank you all for your advice and input. The extent of this promotion is still sinking in for me.

Congrats! "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln