Options

First IT job after A+

dbr376dbr376 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently started a job as a "Systems Operator" at Pearson, the job involves running nightly backups on a variety of production servers, doing performance monitoring on websites, and occasionally telneting in to a server to restart processes. The company also pays tuition reimbusment which is helpful because I am starting my AAS in networking this summer.

Its not the most technical job, as any major failures are escalated to the system administrators on duty. Hopefully this will be good experience for me, I've learned a ton about Apache and Linux in the last 3 weeks and I'm gaining exposure to many different technologies.

Comments

• Options
    jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    dbradd1 wrote:
    I recently started a job as a "Systems Operator" at Pearson, the job involves running nightly backups on a variety of production servers, doing performance monitoring on websites, and occasionally telneting in to a server to restart processes. The company also pays tuition reimbusment which is helpful because I am starting my AAS in networking this summer.

Its not the most technical job, as any major failures are escalated to the system administrators on duty. Hopefully this will be good experience for me, I've learned a ton about Apache and Linux in the last 3 weeks and I'm gaining exposure to many different technologies.

Is there room for advancement? Show you're eager, smart, and willing. Take advantage of the tuition reimbursment and get a degree. Depending on the opportunities you may get promoted from within to a more challenging role.

I started taking technical classes while working at a company 20 years ago figuring that once I finished I'd take advantage of the school's placement service. Once HR found what I was doing they found a job for me using my new skills in order to keep me from leaving. I ended up spending 23 years with that company. It's rare but sometimes there still is employee / employer loyalty.
  • Options
    dbr376dbr376 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From all indications that I've gotten, I think there is room for advancement here, one of our junior system administrators did the same AAS program that I am enrolled in and was promoted from operator to administrator after he completed his degree. If not with this company, hopefully the experience I gain here will be helpful to me once I graduate. I am working on my XP MCP next and after I finish my summer term Linux class I will look into taking the Linux+ test, since about 3/4 of our machines use Linux/Apache/Tomcat.
  • Options
    InfInf Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great first job to me. I started as a bench tech at a corporate office. It was fun, but there was no education in it. Should be a great job for you to get exposed to lots of IT while you work on new things, and if they pay for it, even better. Good luck.