Options

Doing things you don't want to do in order to get to the things you do...

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've taken a few months off from studying to get over the burnout from the last 2 years. I've reflected on what I want to do over the next five or so years and I now know that I want to get to an advanced blue team technical role. The bad part of this realization is that right now I'm not ready. Since my current role is advisory/red team, I need to get an advanced cert in that area in order to be able to argue for blue team technical training. I suppose I will be the saddest OSCP student for 90 days... Then on to CCNP/CCIE Security...

Anyone else had to advance in an area you don't enjoy in order to springboard into an area you do?

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's probably not uncommon. If you can see the path ahead leads to where you want to be, then decide if the conditions getting there are worth it.
    They say an entrepreneur is someone who lives the life no one wants so down the road he can live the life everyone covets. It's no different in a professional field.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't enjoy pulling back root shells? :) To be completely honest, I know people who struggled in the course and found they weren't ready, but I'm not sure I know anyone specifically that didn't enjoy what the course taught or that feeling of returning shells or, best case, passing that exam.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    LonerVamp wrote: »
    You don't enjoy pulling back root shells? :) To be completely honest, I know people who struggled in the course and found they weren't ready, but I'm not sure I know anyone specifically that didn't enjoy what the course taught or that feeling of returning shells or, best case, passing that exam.

I do, but it's not where my passion is. :)
    For many, a midlife crisis is a new car or an extramarital affair. I'm trying to figure out how to expand my talents and help people while putting my kids through college...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm in a blue team trying to move to a red team, wanna swap? ;)

on a serious note, what is it in the blue team that you like more than red team? I'm asking because I've never worked in a red team and don't know what it's lile
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm in a blue team trying to move to a red team, wanna swap? ;)

on a serious note, what is it in the blue team that you like more than red team? I'm asking because I've never worked in a red team and don't know what it's lile

I suppose it may be that I'm not actually fixing anything. I'm not a pentester, but I do pentesty things. They fix some things I show them and don't care about others. It's hit or miss...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    fair enough. I imagined pentesting to be more suitable for me because it'll be a new area for me (so learning/growth) plus it's like a project/engagement based rather than reactive response to incidents...fixing things is a different story though, I did that when I was a systems engineer I guess
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com