Options

Failed miserably this morning...

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
For anyone thinking of taking this test, whatever you do you need more or something different than sybex, trancsender and boson. Those were my three sources and all of them combined don't prepare you enough to pass the test. I was taking all the tests from the book and the transcender program and passing them like at 96-97%. I didn't use real routers, but that wouldn't have made the difference.

I've got a boot camp scheduled for June 5 that's only geared towards what would be the second test if you went the two test route. It's called interconnecting cisco devices. Haven't decided whether to take the class or just **** this whole thing....

Comments

• Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Were you the one that said in another thread that you were going to completely ignore NAT'ing? I think you were.

With the Cisco exams you cannot ignore/skip topics. You must have a very good understanding of everything.

Go to www.****.com and signup for a 60day subscription to there online 640-801 tests. Do everyone of the tests atleast once, if you get the answer wrong let it stay wrong don't change it to the correct answer. When you have completed the tests it will say "Complete the xx questions you got incorrect again"....The subscription is like 39.00 USD but it will help you greatly in passing the exam. This is not an advertisement.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    yeah, that was me, but NATing isn't what did me in. only got one natting question, and it wasn't a sim.

will the howtopass help with questions like where they show you a vlan and you have figure out who would be able to communite with whom? or they show you a vlan and they don't label the interfaces they just give you the router names and ask you which interfaces on a given router are in trunk mode, and show interfaces doesn't tell you which interface is the one connecting to the other router and show vlan isn't an option...

Is it a week that you have to wait? I took it today, could I take it again next monday, or would I have to wait til tuesday?
  • Options
    sleemie wrote:
    yeah, that was me, but NATing isn't what did me in. only got one natting question, and it wasn't a sim.

will the howtopass help with questions like where they show you a vlan and you have figure out who would be able to communite with whom? or they show you a vlan and they don't label the interfaces they just give you the router names and ask you which interfaces on a given router are in trunk mode, and show interfaces doesn't tell you which interface is the one connecting to the other router and show vlan isn't an option...

Is it a week that you have to wait? I took it today, could I take it again next monday, or would I have to wait til tuesday?

I believe you can take it in 5 days, so reschedule for next monday. **** prepares you for every aspect of the exam, some of the questions on the site are similar in format to the real deal!
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    I just signed up between my last message and this one and I'm impressed already. I think this might be just what I need to get over the hump.

I'm surprised no one asked my score when I only said failed miserably without specifying how miserably...it was 775.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's a passing grade? I thought it was like 820 or something? Thanks.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    What's a passing grade? I thought it was like 820 or something? Thanks.

Passing grade is 849.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sleemie wrote:
    I'm surprised no one asked my score when I only said failed miserably without specifying how miserably...it was 775.

Failed miserably is maybe 500s, low 600s.....

If all you used was Sybex then you actually did quite well. If you're not going to get another book, then at least hit the online docs for any topics you still have problems with.

The practice tests are good for evaluation whether you are ready for the exam and/or to find soft spots in your knowledge. Once the question look familiar (usually just once through) then they are just multiple choice flash cards.

If you're dedicated and have good study habits, you could make up those 75 points over the next 5 days.....

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    It sure felt miserable...I felt lost and like I got hit by a truck.

Going through the **** made me realize how much I was truly lacking. I really had no idea how to go through and troubleshoot the scenarios presented during the test. Didn't know which show commands to use, didn't know what to look for in the show commands or anything.

One question I had on there that I'm still sketchy on was was one of those multi-part questions.

If I remember correctly it showed a VLAN set up with a bunch of switches and hosts and it asked which ports on two particular switches were in trunk mode, but the topopogy didn't indicate the ports, it just showed the lines connecting the switches and hosts, and it was not a sim where you could access the router and check the port modes. How was I supposed to approach that one?

Anyone know?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sleemie wrote:

If I remember correctly it showed a VLAN set up with a bunch of switches and hosts and it asked which ports on two particular switches were in trunk mode, but the topopogy didn't indicate the ports, it just showed the lines connecting the switches and hosts, and it was not a sim where you could access the router and check the port modes. How was I supposed to approach that one?

Anyone know?

The connections between the switches would be trunks and the lines connecting the hosts would be access ports.The access port strips the vlan header because the host doesnt need it.The trunk port is needed to carry multiple vlans between the switches.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    okay...but the problem was that the question asked specifically which ports were the trunk ports, and the diagram didn't show the port numbers, it only showed the lines connecting everything. I could look at the diagram and see where the trunk line was, but couldn't determine which ports on the switches were the trunk ports because the ports weren't identified.

maybe there was something I was missing in terms of being able to access the switches and pull up that info.

If that was the case, what command would I have used to determine which port was the trunk port? Show ip interface?