Options

Working with new/unqualified people

CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
delete this thread

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think if the business is calling the new and unqualified person "the lead" then there is a bigger problem here. So you're doing the work, and they're taking the credit? Each time that happens, the businesses says, hey we paired those two together last time and the lead really hooked it up and kept the project going, let's do it again!

I'm not great at selling myself at work with constant self promotion, but sometimes you have to let it be know exactly how much work you're doing so you're not forgotten come recognition time.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I take them under my wing and mentor them the best I can. If there is any confusion about the situation and who is doing what I’d just clear it up. Your management should know the other person is new already anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I take them under my wing and mentor them the best I can. If there is any confusion about the situation and who is doing what I’d just clear it up. Your management should know the other person is new already anyway.

This right here. I've worked under a lot of people who lacked the experience or knowledge they needed so I always tried to remedy that as best I could. As long as they want to learn they're not dead weight to me.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    This right here. I've worked under a lot of people who lacked the experience or knowledge they needed so I always tried to remedy that as best I could. As long as they want to learn they're not dead weight to me.

+1

A rising tide lifts all boats. Early on in my career I viewed it as a sprint and wanted to win every leg of the race. I focus on collaboration and shared success. However, helping someone doesn't mean doing it all for them. The harder thing is to get them started, see what they come up with, and work through it to make it better.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they're green, but they show that they want to learn, then help them out whenever time permits. If they're lazy and want to coast, then give them very little and eventually they'll drown.

Either way, give them something to pay it forward as it could be you in a situation like that one day.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How do you deal with a project when you have to work with someone who is still new and doesn't have the right knowledge

Easy - I simply help them.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    lacagrl17lacagrl17 Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this a one-time occurrence or is this an on going issue? If it's one-time then mentoring and being patient with them would help you, especially if you're looking for a leadership role. If it's an on going issue, you may want to suggest to your boss to try some online training to get (the team) up to date on skills - it will also take some stress off you.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the answer is obvious. No team is perfect and the best thing you can do is help them out. If they are lazy or choose to not commit it will come back to them.

Do your best.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most important to me are two things; do they have a good attitude? Do they have a good foundation of skills that can be built on?

It's not my place to question why the higher-ups selected this person as the lead, they might have skills in other areas the executives want. There are many ways to communicate your efforts in bringing this person up to speed while showing you are a team player. For instance, while running into someone at random: "Hey there Mr. Executive, thought you'd like to know that Bob Jones is coming along nicely. As you know, someone can come in with skills but people need to learn the details of their new employer. Just thought I'd ask though, is there an area that you'd like me to emphasize when I'm giving him some pointers?"

There's a certain amount of finesse that should be used in a situation like this but when done successfully, don't think management doesn't notice. It's all in how you bring things to someone's attention. Managers and executives (usually) aren't stupid and are often pretty good at reading between the lines.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It doesnt matter if his unqualified. You are a team.
    You might say his unqualified but guess what? You dont run the show, you dont own the company. You just work there. This is the reality. It doesnt matter if his not good. They hired him and you will have to work with him. You might already know this, Great people leave for a better pay. Is your job paying 160k for a CCNP?

Lets say his a CCNP and your a CCNA. What does that have to do with you being better at your job? The guy is new.

IMO I went through a lot of people just like you. I passed them and I remember who they are. I didnt help them when they start running to me. So watch what your doing. Because that guy might pass you and become a CCIE. Worst case, you might end up reporting to him.