WGU MSCSIA Content and Other Similar Master's Degree Programs

rocscizrocsciz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
After 10 years of IT experience, specifically in webapp security, I've considered pursuing Master's degree that is relevant to my domain. I've a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics and currently hold CISSP and had CEH which expired in 2012.

Have few questions,
  1. I'm trying to understand the content in WGU MSCSIA course. Is it more like CISSP i.e. more nonsensical theory or is it a technical course? I'd have a hard time if this degree is more like CISSP.
  2. What are other online Master's degree programs that'll cost 20k or less for the whole program? Meaning to get a degree within next 2 years.
    • Are there any that considers CISSP as a credit?
    • Are there any that gives you certs upon completion of certain courses part of the program? Like CEH/CHFI part of WGU MSCSIA and SANS certs for SANS Master's?
  3. I'm planning to dedicate at least an hour a day and 1 weekend day. Does that sound reasonable? (I'm know this is a very individual question, but trying to get a general idea here)

Comments

• mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is strongly centered around security policy and procedure. The CEH/CHFI exams are the most technical part of the program.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bruh, I hope you like NIST. :D
  • RuprechtRuprecht Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll be fine with that background and those certifications. The program currently known as the MSCSIA was previously the MSISA (Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance). Some folks are still finishing up that program. I should know, I finished up last week. The MSISA has had a few revisions, two that I know of. I mention them because the older version of the MSISA explicitly identified as being aligned to the ten CISSP domains. So, if you have it in your head that the CISSP directly aligns - you were right, just not anymore.

However, WGU has still held on to some courses from the old times, and for when the course can be presented to other grad programs. The MSISA program had a course ripped directly from the old CISSP Cryptography domain, for instance. A hodgepodge of new and old classes made it into the new program, and that makes some of them odd, and in some cases no longer timely. My take on the MSCSIA courses which are not new:
    Risk Management (used in other programs, relevant)
    Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance (used in other programs, relevant)
    Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response (old, needs to be re-written)
    Security Policies and Standards - Best Practices (ancient, reviled, and rightly so; predates the NIST Cybersecurity Framework)

To your questions:
    #1. Nonsensical or Technical is not an accurate paradigm, thankfully. Is far more about _applying_ good practice to a provided scenario in the context of a course. No oblique CISSP questions with zero right answers. But you will write, a lot, to demonstrate your ability to apply what you learned, or knew already.
    #2. The CISSP will help in the application process. The application process is tiresome. Only an active CEH or CHFI will help you in bypassing the CEH or CHFI course requirements. Don't consider re-upping on those certs on your own dime, WGU pays for it. I can't speak for other Uni's. Remember it’s a smorgasbord, completing a class faster lets you complete the program faster, they will let you take on more classes in a term if you show you are able.
    #3 It always varies, but if you have the CISSP, you are intellectually capable, in all likelihood, of making it through the program. The school needs to provide study time quantities as if you were a green plebe and had to learn everything from zero. They cannot predict how you write, or how long it takes you to write.