Options

Information Security Degrees - Teaching

ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into Cyber Security or Information Security degrees?

I'm also looking into the lower level for kids and/or high school pupils. I'm out of touch with what is offered in schools so I'm doing some of my own research to see what sort of information on the above subjects is available to children and adult students.

Do we have any lecturers or teachers here? Will there be an increase in security curriculums in the near (hopefully) future?

I feel that anyone competant enough with CISSP training materials, for example, could fulfil some of the requirements? Obviously, provided they can present and train to an acceptable standard.

It's something that I'm interested in pursuing in the next few years.

Has anyone pursued this career path and have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ansionnachcliste,

Just as the the job market, trainings, and associated certifications have boomed over the last few years within the InfoSec discipline, I'd expect the education will follow suit. Although the market isn't saturated with degrees in InfoSec just yet, and most of the degrees tend to be offered online for this specific discipline (which is fine, just make sure it's regionally accredited). I believe it's only a matter of time before they're offered at all brick and mortar colleges and universities as well.

To that end, I also plan to enter academia one day and teach within the InfoSec Domain. As a result, I've obtained both a Bsc and MSc in Cyber Security from Western Governors University (a regionally accredited school). I would personally like to teach at the graduate level, so I'm in the process of obtaining my PhD in Information Security and Information Assurance from Capella University (again a regionally accredited school).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Techguy215
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on your state's higher education board, check out community colleges. Some states require a graduate degree and others just require a bachelors degree. Again, depends on the states higher board of education requirements.