Options

Anyone Else Have A Part Time Job?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Recently took on this part time job, and I'm hesitating about beginning it. They are willing to work around my current job, just hesitating due to time away from home, etc. Don't need the extra money, I mean it's nice - but I don't NEED it.

I only took it to gain experience with technology that my current employer would never have me be exposed to.

It's with the local electric company who does high speed fiber optic for the city.

I've read people state get more certifications instead of a part time job - but based on some of recent interviews - certs don't matter when I don' have the professional experience to back it up.

Interview question: What's your experience with this and this? "Labs & studying" 1f61b.png:P

Don't know just making sure such a move is beneficial in the long run..

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've done side jobs here and there. I don't need the money either, but I like it! :D

Experience will certainly help you on the resume, but only you can say if it's going to interfere with your home life or drag you down on your full time job. I wouldn't jeopardize any of that for the side gig personally.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check the contract with your current employer to see if it's allowed there may be clauses about non-competes or something that limits what you can do professionally and charge money in your spare time.

Having said that I use to do odd sidejobs in the fields I liked, now I do saturdays with a startup and it's a lot of work, depressing that they lack some stuff but a great challenge to get dirty into the technology. There are even a few things I've had to learn that have made me better at my big job.

I recommendation try it out for a couple of months and if you see that it's going to burn you out, then tell your part time boss and see if you can work something out or thank him for the opportunity and give your notice.

About getting certifications, maybe this job will get you some experience that will help you. And who says you can't study and moonlight? Sometimes it's just the first months that are hard and it gets easier when you get the hang of it.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No, I have another full time job, being wife, mom and doorperson for my dog.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I moonlight as a security guard. The guy I report to is one of my best friends. Quiet assignment, great co-workers, and nobody cares if I have my CISSP book open in front of me.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    fitzlopez wrote: »
    Check the contract with your current employer to see if it's allowed there may be clauses about non-competes or something that limits what you can do professionally and charge money in your spare time.

Tell a LIE
    Having said that I use to do odd sidejobs in the fields I liked, now I do saturdays with a startup and it's a lot of work, depressing that they lack some stuff but a great challenge to get dirty into the technology. There are even a few things I've had to learn that have made me better at my big job.

I recommendation try it out for a couple of months and if you see that it's going to burn you out, then tell your part time boss and see if you can work something out or thank him for the opportunity and give your notice.

About getting certifications, maybe this job will get you some experience that will help you. And who says you can't study and moonlight? Sometimes it's just the first months that are hard and it gets easier when you get the hang of it.

I have worked two jobs in Northern Virginia before.

Actually it was job descriptions that stated that the night job can't be a second job. I still applied for night positions. I worked two jobs, twice. It's easy in Northern Virginia. I worked on Quantico at night and Ft. Belvoir in the day. Ok, now back to the original poster...
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Recently took on this part time job, and I'm hesitating about beginning it. They are willing to work around my current job, just hesitating due to time away from home, etc. Don't need the extra money, I mean it's nice - but I don't NEED it.

I only took it to gain experience with technology that my current employer would never have me be exposed to.

It's with the local electric company who does high speed fiber optic for the city.

I've read people state get more certifications instead of a part time job - but based on some of recent interviews - certs don't matter when I don' have the professional experience to back it up.

Interview question: What's your experience with this and this? "Labs & studying" 1f61b.png:P

Don't know just making sure such a move is beneficial in the long run..

It was another poster who posted about a second job. I know because I remember responding to it. I also remember it had a lot of comments. But, I am to lazy to look for it but I would suggest you do so.

What I will say is, you will slack at one of the two jobs.

I was high speed...until I started getting sleepy and my eyes started to shut at the desk.

I think night jobs are alright for a few months but that's about it. When I was doing it, one job was 12 hours and an 8 and the other job was 8hrs straight. So, on the days where I had an 8 hr day and a 12 hour day it was bad. Did I not include travel time back and forth? Of course I didn't. Even with an 8 hr and an 8 hr day with travel time it's bad. You will never get 8hrs of sleep. On the weekends you'll be glued to your bed. You will be so tired you will wait until the last second to go to the bathroom. It's like you are at the point where you don't eat on the weekends. Your mom could be calling and you not pick up the phone.

I literally gave my dog up to a shelter because I could not spend time with her. I went home, took a shower, ate, fed and walked her and left. Anybody seen a black and white American Bull Dog? Tell her I miss her.

Long story short, it's difficult. I can't say YOU but I will say that I was tired after the first job. Then trying to work another one was difficult.

I realized over time that I found myself arriving late for my night job. 50% of me cared to be on time and 50% of me didn't care because I already had a day job. You will start making decision like, I don't care if I get fired. You care but you don't care. Being that's is a part time, what's the definition of part time? I come when you want me to come to work or I come when I am free? How many hours is part time? Is it a set minimal amount of hours? Part time is technically in my book less than 40 hours a week. So, I can work 20 hours a week if I want or 10 hours a week? I still have some unanswered questions Daneil.

Either way, do what's best for you!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    If you have free time and don't need the money, I think Lab and study for advanced certs in your free time...that's what I would do...go to meetups, network etc!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    I have worked two jobs in Northern Virginia before.

Actually it was job descriptions that stated that the night job can't be a second job. I still applied for night positions. I worked two jobs, twice. It's easy in Northern Virginia. I worked on Quantico at night and Ft. Belvoir in the day. Ok, now back to the original poster...

Telling lies is bad for your soul. icon_twisted.gif

The problem is getting fired from you main gig with no severance pay because they found out.

I agree what the other stuff you said, I don't care as much on doing my second job with the quality expected of me. Even less when I'm tired from studying.

You have earned my respect I don't think I could keep awake if I was working 20 hours a day plus a couple more for transportation. I would probably last a week. bowing.gif