Options

Moving onto a new job? Or thnking about it at least

Wrighty11xblWrighty11xbl Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Long time since I posted here, How are you lot?

About 9 months ago, I finally got an IT job and its great and has some good perks. Im an IT Engineer for primary schools now and I look after around 5 schools and visit them on different days depending on their contracts.

Theres alot of freedom in the job like working at home on half days or not having to run anything by an manager when I wanna make a change to the server/network. Im pretty much my own boss! However, it isnt all amazing, the pay is pretty low for the job title and the other perks such as pension is lacking too with it being a smaller company. The main issue I think I have is that during school holidays/office days there is actaully nothing to do so I have to find/look busy in order to not get critasised, my boss is fine with it as he is aware there is little to do. Further to the higher ups, they do seem very reluctant to expand, for example, our current office is not big enough and it is falling apart due to its age, no heating as well. However, the bosses have renewed the lease for another 3 years...

Its going to sound odd but I think I miss the structure from working in a larger orginisation, perks/expectations ect. As such its got me thinking about moving, its probably not helped that I made an amature error last week which I resolved but it did shake me a bit (deleted and OU from the server containing all computers). Does it sound odd? I do owe this place as they got me out of an awful job before and took me on with little experence in IT but I feel in the short time ive been here, I feel Ive peeked.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Have any of you lot felt the same way?

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do owe this place as they got me out of an awful job before and took me on with little experence in IT but I feel in the short time ive been here, I feel Ive peeked...

Then work on getting your MCSA (since you mentioned Active Directory), or whatever else drives you.

Sometimes you have to "make the best" of a situation.

My last job was mind-numbing. i knew after about 3 weeks that it was Not the job they described in the interview;
    but i needed the $$$.

So i spent the next 9 months, waking up at 5:30am, and studying for an hour every day.

During my stay, i finished my ccna, earned the vmware vcp (stanly), and also passed the MS 409 Hyper-V exam (via Microsoft Virtual Academy).
    When the summer came, i bounced the heck outta there.

Do i ever look back , and feel like i wasted 9 months of my life?
    sometimes...

But those certs definitely helped me land my current gig; and now i'm getting hella EXP :]
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First job in IT and 9 months experience there. Sounds like a sysadmin role, but you mention IT engineer that I assume is your job title. Those are big shoes to grow into. I'd take advantage of having that title and all the extra down time. Stick around until your 2-3 year point and become that engineer that your job title claims you to be by training hard. MCSA/MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, etc.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP