Options

Failed my gpen

xploytxployt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I failed my gpen exam today. Would love to speak to someone who recently passed theirs and talk to them about where I could improve at concerning my index and other notes. Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Post up your study method (how long, how many passes, do labs, how many pages in index, how detailed index, practice exam scores, etc) so all GIAC cert holders can post up recommendations.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    is this your first GIAC exam?

did you take practice tests?
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just renewed my GPEN last month and have been going through the new materials and labs. I'm impressed with the updates to the course, and it's obvious the exam I took would be out of date now, so take my strategy with a grain of salt. When I took mine, it was very tool heavy. I realized this from the practice tests, so instead of an index, I printed the man pages for all of the tools that were brought up in the course. I knew the methodology, attacks, all of the theory from the course. The only thing I fought with memorizing were command syntax and switches, so the man pages were all I needed.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Post up your study method (how long, how many passes, do labs, how many pages in index, how detailed index, practice exam scores, etc) so all GIAC cert holders can post up recommendations.

+1
    Flipped through the books 3 1/2 months later, printed out somebody else's index, and failed is way different than say:

Read the books twice, listened to lecture once, touched every tool mentioned at least once, and did both practice exams for a total of 100 hours of prep time and failed.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP