Options

Cover Letter tips

d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I don't apply online for any jobs, and recently every job I see they also give the option to attach a cover letter along with my resume.

Looking up online, I couldn't understand how it is supposed to be. Do i need to format it in a fancy way like i did with my resume? Is it ok to sound casual in this document? Or does it depend on the company/role i am applying for?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you ask around you'll see that some people see zero value on cover letters. I say anything that can give me an edge is great so I value them. Resumes and cover letters are always more useful when customized to the specific position/company you are applying. This does not necessarily mean format, but content. I would focus on communicating why I am a great candidate and how I’m going to help the company solve its problems. Tell a story, but concisely. Show how your background if going to help deliver value. Take advantage of whatever you know about the company like culture, products/services, or anything else that can show you did your homework.

Here’s an excerpt from a Harvard Business Review article: https://hbr.org/2014/02/how-to-write-a-cover-letter

Do:
    - Have a strong opening statement that makes clear why you want the job and why you’re right for it
    - Be succinct — a hiring manager should be able to read it at a glance
    - Share an accomplishment that shows you can address the challenges the employer faces

Don’t:
    - Try to be funny — too often it falls flat
    - Send a generic cover letter — customize each one for the specific job
    - Go overboard with flattery — be professional and mature
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about a cover letter if you're looking for a job locally. However, if you are relocating and applying for jobs that aren't local then a cover letter might be a good idea to explain that you're looking to relocate.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    A cover letter NEVER hurts to send. Me: Explain why you'd be right for the job and highlight your strengths.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally see little to no value in a cover letter; especially since resumes are not read by humans...the most I will do is give a one paragraph background on who I am and what position I am applying for.

Maybe cover letters were important in the days before disasters like taleo and other HRIS systems. Now, it is just an attachment that will likely not get read.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Resumes are read by humans. Trust me. In our group, we get the resumes and look over them carefully.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I also hire people and use one of those big ATS things. We use the tool mostly as a central repository and intake tool, not to have it make pass/no pass decisions. I also get cover letters that are submitted through it (we list them as optional).
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Thank you guys for your inputs on this.
    no!all! wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about a cover letter if you're looking for a job locally. However, if you are relocating and applying for jobs that aren't local then a cover letter might be a good idea to explain that you're looking to relocate.

That's exactly the case, will work on my "cover letter" skills..it might be something that can weigh in my favor as well :3