DSU cyber security or CS degree?

mpaulen59mpaulen59 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am enrolled there and will be starting the cyber operations degree in may. However I was wondering if that's the way to go over their CS degree..I am more of a security minded person being a MP sergeant for six years and now a deputy sheriff however my reap love is computers and all things encompassing that. I would like to continue to work around the government area but with more of a computer security related job or cyber forensics which is what my elective class choices would probably be. Also I'll probably do the 4+1 and get the MSCAS there too. Attached is the MAP for each Cyber operations and CS.

Thanks!

http://dsu.edu/assets/uploads/resources/ComputerScience-MAP.pdf
http://dsu.edu/assets/uploads/resources/CyberOps-MAP.pdf

Comments

• mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer CS degrees because on paper they appear to have a longer "expiration date"
    but I'm biased since I have one

my .02
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I prefer CS degrees because on paper they appear to have a longer "expiration date"
    but I'm biased since I have one

my .02

Best academic move you ever made...... IMO of course.
  • mpaulen59mpaulen59 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mpaulen59 wrote: »
    I am enrolled there and will be starting the cyber operations degree in may. However I was wondering if that's the way to go over their CS degree..I am more of a security minded person being a MP sergeant for six years and now a deputy sheriff however my reap love is computers and all things encompassing that. I would like to continue to work around the government area but with more of a computer security related job or cyber forensics which is what my elective class choices would probably be. Also I'll probably do the 4+1 and get the MSCAS there too. Attached is the MAP for each Cyber operations and CS.

Thanks for the quick reply, I see. However I do like the layout of CYOPS would the masters in Applied Computer Science make the "expiration date" appear longer?
    Program: Applied Computer Science, M.S. - Dakota State University - Acalog ACMS
    Thanks again!
    Mitchell
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If starting from scratch I'd go CS, especially if you aren't already working in the security field already and just looking to check the box.
    I like the course selection of CYOPS, I like the reverse engineering and malware analysis. Would it help to take that and go right into the masters for applied computer science afterwards?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will say their Cyber Operations degree draws heavily from their CS coursework. When you look at it, and based off of what you do for a living, my suggestion would be to go with the Cyber Operations degree. You get the programming fundamentals of Computer Science with all the security related courses. Law enforcement is hurting big time for tech people and that degree will definitely put you in a great space.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    go for the cyber degree instead of CS. in CS you will learn purely programming and looks like thats not what you want to do. Take it from someone who finished a CS degree 10 years ago and now works in cybersecurity.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I will say their Cyber Operations degree draws heavily from their CS coursework. When you look at it, and based off of what you do for a living, my suggestion would be to go with the Cyber Operations degree. You get the programming fundamentals of Computer Science with all the security related courses. Law enforcement is hurting big time for tech people and that degree will definitely put you in a great space.

I would like to transfer to doing something like that in my county, however I'd essentially be pioneering that type of thing for the department I am in.
    I was looking up more about DSU on the forums did you do the masters program there The_Grinch?
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□

Thanks for the quick reply, I see. However I do like the layout of CYOPS would the masters in Applied Computer Science make the "expiration date" appear longer?
    Program: Applied Computer Science, M.S. - Dakota State University - Acalog ACMS
    Thanks again!
    Mitchell

The reason why I say expiration date is because degrees that get TOO technology specific might appear dated when viewed at the surface level. Ten years from now, no prospective employer will want to see your coursework and will surmise that you have a solid education in technology.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    The reason why I say expiration date is because degrees that get TOO technology specific might appear dated when viewed at the surface level. Ten years from now, no prospective employer will want to see your coursework and will surmise that you have a solid education in technology.

I totally agree with this. What reputation does a cyber security degree mean to a hiring company now? I happen to like this particular school's course selection as it includes a solid selection of basic computer science classes (computer science 1&2, discrete math, some web dev stuff, some database, etc.).

However, I saw some other school's cyber degree and it looked like a mutant cyber/criminal justice degree, with IMHO less useful courses, like homeland security and airport security in their curriculum.

We won't know until a few years has gone by if cyber degrees develop a classic and timeless reputation (like computer science) or if they go down the hopelessly specialized & trendy route, such as womyn's studies, etc.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did not, though looking back I wish I had. My boss is finishing their DSc in Cyber Security and has had nothing, but great things to say about it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff