Options

Failed CISSP - 2nd time - Feeling embarrassed!

Can'tTakeIt!Can'tTakeIt! Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I failed the soul-sucking CISSP for the 2nd time yesterday. I feel defeated and embarrassed and that I'll be taking it again for the 3rd time. And the worst part is that I didn't even tell anyone that I was re-taking the exam. Not even my family or friends know. Now only you guys. You'll keep my secret right? :)

I took it with the new CAT format and there were no major changes beside the 'back/flag' button no longer available. My major mistake was that I took too much time at the beginning and rushed through the rest of the exam with 12 seconds to spare. The reason I took too long in the beginning because I had a hard time reading and understanding the questions. They were written by someone whose first language is not English - like Yoda-style. Many of the questions were grammatically incorrect. Just badly written. I had to read most questions 3-4 times just to even understand what I was reading.

I've been studying since last May, and hard core studying for the past 3 months after my first fail. Lessons learned include:
My first attempt (Nov) - I took a useless bootcamp, only read/used the Shon Harris book, and took practice quizzes with CCCure because it came with the bootcamp. My mistake here was using limited resources.

Second attempt - I skimmed through the Sybex book, CISSP for Dummies, Sunshine PDF and 11 Hour, focusing only on my weak areas. I took 4 legal pads of notes and made several stacks of note cards. I felt pretty confident but failed. I rushed the last 50 questions because I was running out of time. I was in a panic and thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest with the last 10 questions.Then the dreaded printer. Last time when I failed, 2 pages for failing, and 1 for passing. This new format, only 1 page for failing. The people at the front desk do not even look you in the eyes because they know! Then you have to ask yourself, "do I scream or cry all the way back to the car??" They should offer bar-service at the Pearson test centers. They'd make a killing.

So now I have to wait 3 more months before I can retake the exam for the 3rd time and endure everyone asking me "when are you going to retake the CISSP?" I've been lurking/reading many of your posts. I silently cheer you on when you pass because I know you must feel so relieved and exhilarated. For those who failed I feel your pain and encouraged by your re-attempts.

Now my attempt is to read the Sybex book in its entirety, CCCure quiz because I still have access, do more practice tests, and focus on "oh sh*t this wasn't mentioned in the book" areas. I'm also using many of your suggestions re: study materials and habits. What else can I do?

Thanks for listening, you guys are the best!

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel sorry for you... don't give up until you succeed!
    I have 2 feeling about your journey... I am not an English-native (french canadian), but if you took almost 3 hours 100-150 questions.. you are perhaps overthinking the questions, trying to find some hidden meaning. I took the long version with 250 questions, and I took me about 2h - 2h10.

Also, CISSP is a manager exam not a technical one. To help get the right mindset, watch Kelly Handerhan's video on Cybrary

Finally which domain are you weaker? Perhaps we could suggest you some appropriate material to study.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not even my family or friends know. Now only you guys. You'll keep my secret right? :)

TE - 1; your loved ones - 0 icon_cheers.gif

Good luck from a fellow 2x CISSP failer
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    H-bombH-bomb Member Posts: 129 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I’m sorry to hear but don’t give up! The CISSP is a difficult exam to study for. So many of us have almost gave up, but we have to continue to push forward!

Unfortunately, I don’t have any advice as far as the CAT goes. But based on my experience with the CBT version of the CISSP, I found the questions to be very straight forward as long as you didn’t overthink it.

My personal opinion is that you are using too many resources. I would choose one book (Sybex 7th Edition) and study it hard! You can’t read it like a novel. If you’re reading more than a Domain per week then you’re going way to fast.

Just shrug the people off that keep asking you about the CISSP. #1. Do they have a CISSP? #2. Did they retain any information since they passed the exam? Don’t ever doubt yourself. You are doing this the right way and I look forward to seeing your CISSP Passed post in three months! Then you can relax. :D
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took it with the new CAT format and there were no major changes beside the 'back/flag' button no longer available.

So with the new CISSP exam format, you cannot go back after you answer a question, similar to Cisco exams?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    clconrad1clconrad1 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed twice too and also feel like a big loser and idiot. i studied my ASS off after my first fail in December. I failed again in Feb. I can't take it again until May and I haven't even looked at the study material since my 2nd failure. I know it's not doing me any favors but like you I just feel defeated and almost like it's pointless. Like you I had a very hard time comprehending what they were asking. The study materials are significantly different which is very misleading. Just give us study questions that suck so we at least know what to expect! Being back on this forum is my first step to getting back in the study game. ugh. I just want to be done.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Do not feel embarrassed!! It happens.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First thing is: DO NOT feel embarrassed. This test is not easy. If it was, everyone would have CISSP credentials. Cliche? Yes....but you get the point....you know better than anyone all the work and time it takes for this exam.

During my exam, I felt pretty confident I was failing. I knew, when I went back to study, I was going to use nothing but the Sybex book and their practice exams. I knew I was going to live in BCP/DRP and federated identity management for my re-take. The one thing I made sure I did was to stay with my strategy. Eliminate bad answers, read and re-read the question, break down sentences on tougher questions and really think the question through.

One thing I would like to mention are the Sari Greene videos on Safari Books Online. She has a six hour course that covers exam taking strategies. She hammers the concept of picking out the weak/bad answers and goes over a lot of "tougher" exam topics. If you have access, I would strongly recommend this series. If you don't, still plug away at the Sybex book and all available practice exams thru that book [the original and the Official Practice Tests book].

I'll be watching for your "I passed thread" :D
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, did you retake the CISSP and pass on your third attempt?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    AnteloperAnteloper Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited July 2019

Second attempt - I skimmed through the Sybex book, CISSP for Dummies, Sunshine PDF and 11 Hour, focusing only on my weak areas. I took 4 legal pads of notes and made several stacks of note cards. I felt pretty confident but failed. I rushed the last 50 questions because I was running out of time. I was in a panic and thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest with the last 10 questions.Then the dreaded printer. Last time when I failed, 2 pages for failing, and 1 for passing. This new format, only 1 page for failing. The people at the front desk do not even look you in the eyes because they know! Then you have to ask yourself, "do I scream or cry all the way back to the car??" They should offer bar-service at the Pearson test centers. They'd make a killing.

"CISSP for Dummies" LOL did not know there was such a thing  :)

From my experience, as mentioned in my post earlier, I only focused on Sybex book. The other resources were just distractions for me. Bought the "All In One" book but using it as paper weight (not saying its not a good book but simply had no time to go for another big monster). You might do well focusing on one GOOD book rather then splitting among many.

The questions, I thought on test were fairly straightforward to understand. Now the multiple choice answers were at time tricky but that's a different thing!
  • Options
    sfportarosfportaro Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The new policy of not allowing you to go back to questions is just awful. When I took the CSSLP exam I went back through all of the questions. I found two question that were wrong because I misread them and two that were incorrect because I read the answers wrong.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anteloper said:
    "CISSP for Dummies" LOL did not know there was such a thing  :)
    I have that book. I wouldn't use it as a sole source of study, but it does make for a good supplement or "11th Hour" style prep.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As mentioned before, stick with a few resources and study it hard. I'll recommend you throw  in Boson sim to your resources. Second, work on the pacing and try to answer each question in under a minute.

Next, know how to break down and analyze the questions. Larry Greenblatt does a good job of this and also Kelly Handerhan. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    StrikingInfluencerStrikingInfluencer Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone who very recently passed the CISSP CAT on the first try (Don't know how) I would recommend a few of my resources and methods as potential help for your future pass.

- First, I used the complete uCertify course with over like 500 practice questions that I found to be very similar to the real test and it was about $240

- Second, I used Boson exam sim although honestly I thought those questions were horribly outdated and were not anything like the real test -- $75.

- Lastly, I used Thor Pedersons CISSP courses on udemy.  I loved how condensed they were and they really focused on what you needed to know for the exam.  As supplemental material I HIGHLY recommend and they're very cheap usually like $11 each.

So all in I studied for the CISSP with moderate intensity for about 5 months and used these three resources only.  When I finished uCertify I took as many of the exam question I could to find my weak areas.  I then went back and re-enforced those areas with supplemental.  The uCertify practice test questions were by far the most accurate in my opinion and as long as you don't mark answers for review and take the test how you would in the real exam -- it's a great way to study.  However, I highly recommend taking as many types of practice exams as you can (Boson, uCertify, and even the udemy Thor Pedersen course had questions).