Options

Career Dilemma

shawnx715shawnx715 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
Currently in a dilemma regarding my career.

I currently work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms in the NYC area. I was recently offered a job for a smaller accounting firm in NYC where I’d get a lot more experience, but the compensation they offered was lower than expected. Also, I came to find out that I may have the opportunity to relocate to the Dallas office of my current company, but my boss doesnt not have any details on that. I’m also waiting for 2 other companies to follow up with me...not sure what to do…

TL:DR

Options:
1 - go to smaller company and stay in NYC for similar salary, but learn a lot more...but fear being niched into working in Accounting companies only...this one also is as exciting as the other 2 companies

2 - decline and wait to find more details abt dallas transfer

3 - wait for other companies, that seem more exciting and would learn a lot there too

Comments

• Options
    1. Smaller Accounting - Desktop Support
      1. Job offered
        1. 55k + OT
        2. I’ll be sole IT in NYC office
        3. Lots of learning
        4. PTO - 18 days
        5. Summer work hours
      2. Pros:
        1. Lot of learning, projects and exposure
        2. NYC
      3. Con:
        1. Only 2k salary bump - depending on renegotiation
        2. Another Accounting firm
    1. Big 4 IT - Dallas
      1. Still waiting on details
      2. Pro:
        1. More exposure
        2. In Texas
        3. More take home pay - depending on salary adjustment
        4. Still with company
        5. Can still go to different teams
      1. Con:
        1. Big 4 salaries
        2. Still specialized teams
      [*]Marketing 1 - Desktop
      1. Phone interview on good friday
      2. Lots of learning
      3. Marketing firm
      4. I had an in person interview in 2014 and liked the firm and the role
      [*]Marketing 2- Desktop
      1. Waiting to hear back, will hear back on monday
      2. IT with manager
      3. Basically Building IT from ground up, implementing policies and creating standards for the company
    1. Options
      N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
      I'd go for Texas. Isn't NYC expensive to live/commute in? I'm not sure 55k would be enough.
      OSCP
      MCSE: Core Infrastructure
      MCSA: Windows Server 2016
      CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    2. Options
      tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
      $55k in NYC? That might be enough to rent a closet-sized apartment in Newark. In Texas, you can live quite comfortably (depending on your tastes and debt).
    3. Options
      yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
      When you write "lots of learning" are you basing that on the job description/phone interview or did you actually get a taste of the work environment? I'd be concerned about putting so much weight on the notion of lots of learning because it might in reality be more of a "toxic-workplace: put out the fires" kind of work environment. You never know.
      A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
      Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
      Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
      In progress: OSCP
    4. Options
      Well, i currently live in NY with my parents, so that wouldnt be an issue.

I say lots of learning in the sense that theyre smaller IT teams and I'll get a lot more hands on exposure to everything. We'd handle networking, security, servers, etc....this is based of what I was told at the interviews.
    5. Options
      N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
      shawnx715 wrote: »
      Well, i currently live in NY with my parents, so that wouldnt be an issue.

I say lots of learning in the sense that theyre smaller IT teams and I'll get a lot more hands on exposure to everything. We'd handle networking, security, servers, etc....this is based of what I was told at the interviews.
      Lots of learning isn't a lie, you do learn a lot.

The flipside would also mean retail levels of stress and high turnover. I'm already straining under that in spite of considerable compensation, so with the benefit of hindsight, I would never do it for mediocre pay.
      OSCP
      MCSE: Core Infrastructure
      MCSA: Windows Server 2016
      CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    6. Options
      JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
      Based on what you stated I would stay with your current firm and relocate to Dallas. Also if you don't mind mentioning, what level are you at? Being around $53k in NYC seems like analyst level. If you stay with your current firm I'd take advantage of tuition reimbursement and also any training expenses they cover. Cert up, knock out a higher level degree and once in Dallas you'd be in a prime position to either move to a different Big 4 with a sizable salary jump, or find a different exit opportunity for a non- Big 4 firm since there are plenty of tech jobs in Dallas.
      Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
      Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
      Next Up:​ OSCP
      Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    7. Options
      packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
      Go to Dallas. Tell your boss you have other offers pending and you need details sooner than later. Don't let them dangle you on a string.
    8. Options
      JoJoCal19 wrote: »
      Based on what you stated I would stay with your current firm and relocate to Dallas. Also if you don't mind mentioning, what level are you at? Being around $53k in NYC seems like analyst level. If you stay with your current firm I'd take advantage of tuition reimbursement and also any training expenses they cover. Cert up, knock out a higher level degree and once in Dallas you'd be in a prime position to either move to a different Big 4 with a sizable salary jump, or find a different exit opportunity for a non- Big 4 firm since there are plenty of tech jobs in Dallas.

I guess i would be level 1 onsite support. Since i'm currently in a smaller office, there really isnt room for growth....Unfortunately, they dont offer reimbursement.

i'm leaning towards going to Dallas, getting the exposure and certing up and either moving groups or moving firms...

it would be so much easier if all the details were on the table lol
    9. Options
      JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
      shawnx715 wrote: »
      I guess i would be level 1 onsite support. Since i'm currently in a smaller office, there really isnt room for growth....Unfortunately, they dont offer reimbursement.

i'm leaning towards going to Dallas, getting the exposure and certing up and either moving groups or moving firms...

it would be so much easier if all the details were on the table lol

Then in that case I'd definitely look to move to Dallas if you have nothing holding you in NYC. CoL is much cheaper, and there is tons of opportunities once you cert/skill up.
      Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
      Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
      Next Up:​ OSCP
      Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    10. Options
      josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
      there is no CoL cheaper than staying at your parent's house lol. Paying rent/utilities etc, will eat away at that salary real quick
    11. Options
      there is no CoL cheaper than staying at your parent's house lol. Paying rent/utilities etc, will eat away at that salary real quick

lol true that...luckily i have family out in Dallas so it would be a similar situation.
    12. Options
      Whats the better route?

1 - Relocate then learn
      2 - Learn then relocate

I'm leaning towards 1