Options

Security people are the first to go

mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
Interesting title thread, I know. I've been on the fence about my next career move for some time. When I moved into networking, I had an interest in it, but I was more interested in getting experience with firewalls.

I was discussing with a friend the other day, that I think I want to get my CISSP and focus only on security technologies, such as firewalls, IPS. I think also IAM.

His response baffled me, he said I'm better off staying in a networking position, because whenever there is a layoff, security people are more likely to go. He also said configuring firewalls and IPS are a network engineers job, not a security persons

Are these points right? If second point is, does a CISSP even make sense to get? Might as well stay vendor specific?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mnashe wrote: »
    His response baffled me, he said I'm better off staying in a networking position, because whenever there is a layoff, security people are more likely to go.

hahahahahaha never heard this before. maybe his point is applicable to your company specifically.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the company. Any company that collects customer data as a part of its business better not have this as a layoff strategy. An older manufacturing firm that collects little customer data is less likely to be concerned about IT security. They're more likely to say things like "will it keep the truckers from delivering concrete?" Will it stop us from mining copper?"
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mnashe wrote: »
    He also said configuring firewalls and IPS are a network engineers job, not a security persons

IA team manages the firewalls in the public sector. Plus I have not seen any evidence that Security personnel are the first to go. Maybe in some mom and pop shop.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    sure, can be. depends on what 'security' they do. Configuring firewalls/IPS is a network security task, can be done by either a 'security engineer' or a 'network engineer'....

The more skills and the more useful you are, the more likely that you can get gainful employment...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thanks everyone. I'm glad i'm hearing the opposite here. Not that I thought my bud didn't know anything, he's a well respected network architect. Maybe that's what he's experienced at his job.

I'll continue to push on
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like your friend's company has yet to have gotten hacked and owned badly. Some people have an old school mindset and only learn the hard way.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    never listen to another technical staff member on executive decisions lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Saying security people are the first to go is definitely far from true. My guess is that your friend mainly has experience with smaller companies because that is possible if things don’t go as expected...a medium to large company isn’t going to adopt that strategy.

Decide what kind of company you want to work at...smaller will require you to wear many hats but larger companies will let you specialize.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In regards to security peeps being the first to go, sure that may be true in some tiny subset of non-mature shops, but it's not the norm at all. I've heard this line before from non-security people that for some reason feel the need to point out that security "is a bubble" or perhaps that "it sucks". With the importance of security growing every day, regulation catching up, and many other factors, this just doesn't make any sense and just shows the ignorance of the person making the comment. It would be like denying SDN, cloud, DevOPS automation, or any other area that the market demands.

In regards to configuration, that also depends on the company. In smaller shops this could come down to InfoSec. Bigger/mature shops may have separation of duties and have a role who configures the devices and another one who validates/audits configs. YMMV.
  • Options
    jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your friend sounds like an idiot. Quit listening to people like that.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chrisone wrote: »
    never listen to another technical staff member on executive decisions lol

I come to TE for all of my executive decisions icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    E Double U wrote: »
    I come to TE for all of my executive decisions icon_cheers.gif

icon_lol.gif the only executive decisions I get to make with TE advice is on which cert guide to use hahahahaicon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Organization Had lay offs for two years in a row and nope the security team was safe. Heck when i worked for a security company 80 percent security people they laid sales members off first.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could see the very small shops letting security people go first, but not the bigger more regulated companies with complex infrastructure. I work for a global company which is subject to GDPR and I can tell you that security people are by far some of the most important right now. It has been absolutely insane getting ready for the deadline in May.
  • Options
    thanks everyone