GPEN Question

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is having the security + sufficient to taking the GPEN next or must one have passed he GSEC to move on to the GPEB from a knowledge perspective?

Comments

• al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Assuming the only knowledge you have are those certs? Neither are enough.. GCIH on the hand is a good follow-up for both certs and good pre-cert to GPEN.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Depends on your background to be honest! I don't have the GSEC so I'm not sure how is it related

How's your networking knowledge? (Do you understand TCP/IP, subnetting, NAT, firewalls, ARP, DNS, ..etc?)

How's your Linux knowledge? (Basics really)

How's your Windows knowledge?

Read the GPEN exam objective, if you feel comfortable with the topics, then take the class. Everything you need is in the books really.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Security+ does not prepare you for the GPEN at all. Maybe like 5%. GSEC is a start, but it still won't prepare you for the GPEN. Taking the SEC560 class will prepare you for the GPEN, as will reviewing the class and exam objectives and making sure you are well versed in them.

SEC560 teaches you what you need to know for the GPEN and has a list of recommend prerequisites for what you should know going into the class. if you're a smart guy who picks stuff up quickly, you'll be fine learning as you go even if you don't meet the prereqs