Options

Possible Job but long commute

f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
Hey all, I have a potential job offer with a Government Agency. The position would pay more than double what I make now and supposedly offer up to 50% remote work. (Not sure about the remote part as it is a gov job, but the job description does list it.) The only catch is I would face a 2 hour commute EACH WAY. Moving is not an option because of family and church. Does anyone on here have a job that they travel 2 hours for each way? Or does anyone have a gov job that allows remote.
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've had the long commute with the remote option, it sucked long term as the days I went in I wasn't able to do much when I got home and the remote days went by pretty fast. However with that if you can build a routine around it it may work. It will have to take some compromise on your part as well as they may compromise up to 50 percent. So you just have to figure out whats more important and what you want.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You couldn't pay me triple my salary to take a 2-hr one-way commute. I currently have an hour-ish commute each way and I hate it. (plus the added wear/tear on all my vehicles)

The key point I see is that you mentioned "family". This is who will suffer the most. It's just not good work/life balance to be gone so much *just* to get to work and back. You'll also find it's neigh impossible to get general stuff done (like go to bank, make local appointments, etc.) since you won't usually have resources at your distant location (without changing/complicating things), or at least without taking the day off.

You'll also be exhausted and then have to rinse/repeat that commute. Weekends won't give you enough time to recover.

My advice/experience is that you may tolerate it at first, but once that honeymoon is over, you'll realize how challenging it is and may not be worth it.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they're more-than-doubling your salary, you rent a cheap apartment or hotel and just live there for the days that you'd have to be in the office. You could arrange to be in the office on consecutive days. You would be more productive because you wouldn't be so exhausted from all of the driving.
  • Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My current job is a one-hour commute because I travel during off-hours (if I worked 9-5, it would be 2 hours plus). So first remember that weather or just one fender bender can turn your 2-hour commute into a half-day affair.

Second, I agree with @RoyalRaven that you'll have a terrible time fitting in things like the dentist, bank, and other errands. If you have kids, you will have to ensure someone else can pick them up if someone comes down with a fever, etc. I'm very lucky that I negotiated in remote work for prior appointments, but my situation is not typical. Also, my fed friends are talking about their remote work options going away--so make sure that yours are ironclad if they're promised to you.

Third, that commute will just wear you down. I'm tired pretty much all the time. For me right now, the job is still worth it, but the driving definitely takes its toll.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    2 hours is unnaceptable to me and no amount of money/remote work can get me to do it. I value my time with my family too much. YMMV.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I were in your shoes I'd do it for one to two years, provided that I promised to myself to stash all the added income into savings without spending it on a nicer lifestyle.

I'd expect to make very little cert progress (maybe 1 per year) and listen to a
    lot of tech podcasts and audiobooks.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tedjames wrote: »
    If they're more-than-doubling your salary, you rent a cheap apartment or hotel and just live there for the days that you'd have to be in the office. You could arrange to be in the office on consecutive days. You would be more productive because you wouldn't be so exhausted from all of the driving.

Best answer, I think, specially if you dont want to move because of family or church. The hotel or apartment will pay by itself just by the reduction of the car expense (gas, oil change, wear...) 4h commute a day, I can imagine it is easily 300-400 km.

So whatever you drive 4h a day or you rent an appartment, you won't be there for your family on those day. I would choose to rent a room and keep that night time to study or do overtime.

And if you SO dont want because she is jealous, then refuse this job. It will kill your couple/family.
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I was told I could do 4/10s with 2 days in and 2 days remote. To help with the family situation, my family (Wife, 6 month old and 2yr old) would come up with me for the 2 days I would work onsite (Not every time). We would get a hotel and then drive home together after the second day on site. This would reduce the risk that comes with driving 2 hours back home every night, and would allow me to spend some more time with my family. I think this would only be doable for 1-2 years.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    f16jetman wrote: »
    I was told I could do 4/10s with 2 days in and 2 days remote. To help with the family situation, my family (Wife, 6 month old and 2yr old) would come up with me for the 2 days I would work onsite (Not every time). We would get a hotel and then drive home together after the second day on site. This would reduce the risk that comes with driving 2 hours back home every night, and would allow me to spend some more time with my family. I think this would only be doable for 1-2 years.

Excellent solution. Missing all that time with kids that young would be awful. I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't imagine dragging the family back and forth, living in a hotel 2 days a week every week. You're all together so don't think it isn't doable. Just sounds like this would get old real quick. I would imagine your wife and kids start staying home after a few months of this. (could be wrong) Doubling my salary couldn't get me to do this though. Don't think it would be too terrible btw and you would probably be just fine, just not worth it to me.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Now your talking, A hotel and some late check outs once a week is good. Also make sure you build points on a credit card or something to get free rooms. Make sure you find some things for your wife to do while she's there, so she's just not bored stuck in a hotel all day. Also the 1st day home she gets to go out and have a life and you cook dinner, put the kids to bed and make no stink about it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Talk to your wife first. Trust me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tedjames wrote: »

This is my thought as well, If you could drive up one day, work a good 10/12 hour day, go to a cheap motel to crash, got back in the next day, put in a 8 to 10 hour day, then drive home. This way your getting your 50% on site work requirement out of the way, and remote in the other three days. It could work for you, for double your salary, it's something to seriously consider.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll admit I'm always confused when people won't move for a dramatic raise, especially if it includes government benefits like a pension, but to each their own.

One thing you might consider though is either finding someone willing to rent a room out or get a studio. Cheap hotel rooms come with cruddy carpet, bed bugs and don't-shine-a-black-light-on-that-blanket. The first time your clothes get infested with bedbugs and you bring them to your real home, you'll realize how much saving $30 per week actually cost you. Never mind being able to not stress-out about late checkouts and letting the kids leave toys there.