Options

Missing the help desk world!!!

CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone ever climbed so high in a field that one day you have a lot of downtime since you've finished other projects already and all you can think of is damn helpdesk life used to be good. Working on tickets all the time, answering help desk phones etc... Anyone ever miss those days or you just keep moving on up and even if you're making more you just can''t stand the downtime that comes with finishing your projects and nobody expects you to work on tickets or other cases/projects since that isn't the way it works. icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NEVER! helpdesk was horrid...angry ID10T users and resetting pw's was not something I enjoyed
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The farther I get from end users the happier I will be...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What is this madness that I'm reading? Obvisouly CiscoASA2202's account has been pwned.
  • Options
    CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of stuck i guess. I have a few projects nearing completion, and I'm waiting to pick up some work from another project but can't start right now because sales/finance has to finish their tasks before I can begin work. I'm kind of sitting right now waiting for a few other projects to start up meanwhile I miss the days of coming into work and just working on any ticket I find and answering phones most of the day

These days, If i start looking at ticket ques and picking up work from other depts on stuff I can fix easily I'll probably be looked at weird since it take other days to fix something and i can look at a ticket and already know how to troubleshoot/figure out whats wrong based on ticket notes while other depts take days to fix something

I'm not allowed to work on tickets, I'm in a different role now
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just left that world behind. Currently a field tech and still have to deal with end users but it's WAY better than answers calls all day under a time limit with my 6 supervisors micromanaging me and meeting ridiculous metrics and having my greetings scrutinized by QA. Now I work my tickets in the queue one at a time, take my time with my users and research my problems at my pace. Stress levels have gone way down and I find myself much happier.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The pastures are not greener at help desk.

Downtime between projects = excuse to start a new cert.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not helpdesk specifically, but I do miss putting out fires and figuring out outages sometimes now that I do project work. I still jump on the outage bridges with the NOC from time to time to get my fill though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Nope.png

Wasn't Help Desk per se, but second level Desktop Support.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shochan wrote: »
    NEVER! helpdesk was horrid...angry ID10T users and resetting pw's was not something I enjoyed

I concur, I don't miss the days of idiot user help desk tickets. I'd occasionally run into a challenging issue, but 90% of it was the same stupid crap every day. I did however enjoy the freedom of walking all over the building, not chained to my desk all day.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The farther I get from end users the happier I will be...

^ This. Really dislike dealing with end users, it would take some desperate circumstances for me to go back there.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The timestamp on the OP is 4-11. I would think this is more of a 4-1 thing......April Fools?

At this point in my career I can't get far enough away from the end user. Help desk jobs are a stepping stone and those that work for me I want nothing more than to help them develop their careers so they can MOVE ON.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are times that I miss the simplicity that help desk offered. You come in, log into the queue and go to work. You are nothing to no one (unless someone needs blame assigned) and just a number. You do tickets and go home to drink away the flashbacks of users..

Oh wait.. I think I am confusing simplicity with liver failure.
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    There are times that I miss the simplicity that help desk offered. You come in, log into the queue and go to work. You are nothing to no one (unless someone needs blame assigned) and just a number. You do tickets and go home to drink away the flashbacks of users..

Oh wait.. I think I am confusing simplicity with liver failure.

Help Desk guy always gets the blame. Either he/she didn't notify tier 2/3 fast enough or they did something that tier 2/3 should have done. It's a lose/lose position.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, no I don't feel that way. I'm glad to be away from the help desk.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, no I don't feel that way. I'm glad to be away from the help desk.

I second that! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it's ****

high turn over rate, low pay

you are basically the ***** of everyone and a ticket monkey

rather work on projects
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on what you want from your career. Some of my guys are more than content with just coming in for their shift and leaving. I was that way for a long time.

Now that I am executive level I can honestly say there are days, not every day mind you, but there are definitely days when I miss my old life of chatting up end users and going home without the stress of managing a business. For those who aspire to be management, many of us miss the simplicity of the help desk.

For those who are looking to move strictly technically and don't have desire to manage people or a business, I can see never looking back at those help desk days ha
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Maybe it's the customer interaction that you miss? or the simplicity / predictability of the role? lack of stress?

Maybe it's time for a new job?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope I don't miss it one bit. Most call centers operate the same, high turnover, micromangaing, degrading managers, etc.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm working help desk right now at a call center.

I come into work and for the first few hours I get no calls at all so I study my Windows 10 MCSA book.

After being at work for a few hours the calls start to come in. Since I'm, assigned to one Que I never see any new issues. 80-90% of the time it's the same issue over and over again.

The end users (customers as I like to call them) are super nice and laid back.

Sure the pay is nice , but it's pretty boring. There is no challenge.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only advantage of working help desk I can see is you get to meet everyone and know who everyone is. I've worked at my current job location for 3 1/2 years and only know maybe 50 people out of 600 working there. Often I ask my co-workers when they talk to people, who was that. I really don't interface with that many people on a daily bases.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think in terms of satisfaction and recognition the Helpdesk gets a +1, you have more exposure with the users. The further away you move no one recognizes your work anymore and you are just another wheel in the IT machine. Helpdesk though are seen as the driver to the users.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Downtime between projects = excuse to start a new cert.

This and studying a language consumes my downtime.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to leave helpdesk

having to work at a miserable environment where there is no where to go, no raises and only contact from management is when they **** on you

also scary, that people here are working over 5 years at level 1 which absolutely blows my mind. One guy just shits on people all day so I think will become a manager.

it's 80% customer service where you are the bottom *****. Management reinforces that since they tell you to be ultra careful with your language. You end up begging the user not to send a poor review.

there's so much red tape I can't troubleshoot anything and just escalate it

can't wait to get out of helpdesk

rather go back to school for something non-IT related than work helpdesk

now to construct a bungee cord so I can make my escape out of the window today
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    technogoat wrote: »
    I want to leave helpdesk

having to work at a miserable environment where there is no where to go, no raises and only contact from management is when they **** on you

also scary, that people here are working over 5 years at level 1 which absolutely blows my mind. One guy just shits on people all day so I think will become a manager.

it's 80% customer service where you are the bottom *****. Management reinforces that since they tell you to be ultra careful with your language. You end up begging the user not to send a poor review.

there's so much red tape I can't troubleshoot anything and just escalate it

can't wait to get out of helpdesk

rather go back to school for something non-IT related than work helpdesk

now to construct a bungee cord so I can make my escape out of the window today

This is when you self study your @$$ off and get a better cert to get you OUT of the helpdesk.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP