Options

How to get out of nonprofit sector?

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
If you've never worked in the nonprofit sector then you may not understand this problem. For those of you that have, how did you leave to get into something else? I have this overwhelming feeling that I am stuck in non-profit. I've sent out dozens and dozens of resumes to both corporate world and non-profit jobs and only the nonprofit ones seem to get back. I'm currently interviewing at 3 very prominent higher ed universities but I'm just not quite sure it's where I want to go to yet. All senior-level positions. My previous job was for a DOD contractor and I really miss that work but I also love my current style of work. Do employers just look at a resume and see a non-profit and assume the employee has no discipline or something? I have to be missing something, I have a really good track record and quite the experience.
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm also pigeon-holed in a particular sector and I've been planning my exit for a while. Not ready yet but getting there. The thing I've learned is that firms only care about what they care about. Job hunting is like dating, each job is like a girl and you need to tailor yourself to each chick ... err, job. Tailor your resume and application so they don't see a generic nonprofit guy, they instead see you.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    I'm also pigeon-holed in a particular sector and I've been planning my exit for a while. Not ready yet but getting there. The thing I've learned is that firms only care about what they care about. Job hunting is like dating, each job is like a girl and you need to tailor yourself to each chick ... err, job. Tailor your resume and application so they don't see a generic nonprofit guy, they instead see you.
    I hear you on the resume piece. I always tweak it in different directions depending on the type of job. I also try and write unique cover letters but I feel like those a huge waste of time. I know I'm worth something because of a recent position I was solicited to apply for at a major higher ed institution. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet as well. I have some options on the table right now but they will involve major lifestyle changes for major increases in money, but I'm questionable whether I'm there yet as well.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    For me, job hunting is like finding the right guy who won't leave the seat up. icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I've been pondering the idea of hiring a career coach/professional to help with resumes. Mid/Senior/Executive level positions are fun but stressful to play in.

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For me, job hunting is like finding the right guy who won't leave the seat up. icon_wink.gif

You sound like my wife. Hey at least I lift it up before I pee.
  • Options
    You sound like my wife. Hey at least I lift it up before I pee.

Tub has the same drain, just saying.

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been with the state for more than a decade. I've known of some who left for the corporate world and doubled their salary. Usually they went to work for vendors with whom they had developed good working relationships.

The hard part is definitely in attracting and retaining talent in state government. We're pushing to get better salaries, and it's happening gradually. Squished's HR note in the .sig is pretty much dead on.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Squished wrote: »
    Tub has the same drain, just saying.

Yes it does, yes it does.
  • Options
    tedjames wrote: »
    I've been with the state for more than a decade. I've known of some who left for the corporate world and doubled their salary. Usually they went to work for vendors with whom they had developed good working relationships.

The hard part is definitely in attracting and retaining talent in state government. We're pushing to get better salaries, and it's happening gradually. Squished's HR note in the .sig is pretty much dead on.

Yes, I've been pursuing some of the vendors I've worked with for years. There HAS to be a way to move onto something else.

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Management is a lot like sales, a good salesman can sell anything and a good manager can manage in any environment. If you aren't having any luck moving on to being an IT Manager, maybe you need to look at non-IT management with the possibility of coming back in the future.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Management is a lot like sales, a good salesman can sell anything and a good manager can manage in any environment. If you aren't having any luck moving on to being an IT Manager, maybe you need to look at non-IT management with the possibility of coming back in the future.

I know that's not the case. Landing interviews left and right for IT management roles in non-profit with offers on the table. I think the wrong word on my resume is "501c3".