Options

Does this role carry another name?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
https://www.ansi.org/career_opportunities/positions_available/vacancy9

If you wouldn't mind please review this job and let me know what the title should be. I ask because we have positions at work that are called this, but since my engineering background is limited I don't know what the actual translation is for this position.

The actual name of the position at my company is the same as the link. Production Operations.

Thanks for any insights.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like system administrator or systems engineer (or cloud SA, cloud SE) would be related titles.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've been reading up on DevOps, but haven't worked in that capacity yet. Based on my anecdotal experience, talking to some people I know, I believe this is a Jr. Release Engineer position (I said Jr., because this position is expected to deal with end-users, which is quite surprising as RE is practically a Software Engineer with a speciality). Even it said so in the job description:
    • Solid understanding of Application Release engineering and application lifecycle process management.
  • Options
    We have SA's in our company so I am assuming one of those others would snap into this role. Thanks for the follow up.
  • Options
    I've been reading up on DevOps, but haven't worked in that capacity yet. Based on my anecdotal experience, talking to some people I know, I believe this is a Jr. Release Engineer position (I said Jr., because this position is expected to deal with end-users, which is quite surprising as RE is practically a Software Engineer with a speciality). Even it said so in the job description:

We have bi weekly code meetings and when we have to update our Stored Procedures we document them and provide code updaters to PROD OPS and they make sure the chain is updated to run our scripts.

Note that was some random job I grabbed, our team doesn't do level 1 support, but they get pulled into email from directors on up all the time, so they kind of do provide level 1 support.

So basically it sounds like a release management position, but maybe with an engineering component.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So I take it you guys don't have anyone with the "Release Engineer" titles? I believe those titles are interchangeable with ProdOps.
  • Options
    We don't have anyone with that title, they are called Prod Ops. It makes sense now, Prod Ops is also know as release management or release engineers. Very cool.

I appreciate the heads up, great insights.

Side note, you hear this and that about dev ops, but nothing about prod ops. Kind of weird.

I can tell you now that in our company those prod ops / release folks are highly skilled. They are most certainly skilled engineers. I know for a fact they are fluent in SQL and other languages.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read this as being a QA and liaison between management and DevOps.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Blucodex wrote: »
    I read this as being a QA and liaison between management and DevOps.
    Agreed, this is what I see it as. Either QA or Prod/application support on one end, management on the other, and DevOps or release management team.