Options

Taking 902 soon! Differences from the 901?

DazeddDazedd Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I recently took the 901 A+ and passed. Before I took that exam I queried some of you for some advice on what to expect. Since I have now passed that exam I'll soon take the 902. I was wondering, are there are any differences between the 902 and 901 that I should be prepared for, or is it fundamentally the same test as the 901 just with different material? icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    CyphernaticCyphernatic Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There will be some overlap. You'll find that the 902 is more in-depth about troubleshooting the OS. Don't assume that "OS" means Windows. There will be a few mobile questions, Mac and Linux. You'll need to know how to recover from various boot issues, configure storage (know your RAID levels) and how to install drivers, install the OS, upgrade the OS, troubleshoot networking (be very familiar with TCP/IP and tools like ping, ipconfig's switches, dns), things like that.

Absolutely check Comptia's outline of the material covered, and use more than one source for training. Meyers and Messer are two very popular ones.
  • Options
    ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im in a similar boat. I take my 901 may 2nd then 902 2 weeks after that. Do you have any advice for the 901
  • Options
    I'd suggest that you need to know the hardware and what its used for. You absolutely need to know the different types of connections & interfaces. You need to know their max lengths and speeds when applicable, such as the different USB speeds and connectors. Know bluetooth types, speeds and distances, and doubly so for wireless networks.

I made up a stupid word "BAGNAC" to remember the order of 802.11 speeds. remembering that also gave me an alternating pattern of 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ frequencies, with N able to use both. Make your own associations...I remembered ATX motherboard sizes by associating it (don't laugh) with a photo of NY Jets player Muhammed Wilkerson sacking Tom Brady. How? number 96 & 12, respectively. The dimensions of the board are 9.6 and 12. Yeah, I've dropped on my head I think.

Even if you associate the numbers or make a mnemonic you'll recognize them and be able to identify ones that don't belong.

Aside from that, I'd strongly suggest Mike Meyer's udemy course and textbook, along with Professor Messer.

You'll need to know power supplies, SATA connectors on the HD and Motherboard, Firewire, Coax connectors, Fiber, types of RAM.....its not a walk in the park, but far from insurmountable.

And take practice exams!Transcender was good for me but can get pricey.
  • Options
    I'd suggest that you need to know the hardware and what its used for. You absolutely need to know the different types of connections & interfaces. You need to know their max lengths and speeds when applicable, such as the different USB speeds and connectors. Know bluetooth types, speeds and distances, and doubly so for wireless networks.

I made up a stupid word "BAGNAC" to remember the order of 802.11 speeds. remembering that also gave me an alternating pattern of 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ frequencies, with N able to use both. Make your own associations...I remembered ATX motherboard sizes by associating it (don't laugh) with a photo of NY Jets player Muhammed Wilkerson sacking Tom Brady. How? number 96 & 12, respectively. The dimensions of the board are 9.6 and 12. Yeah, I've dropped on my head I think.

Even if you associate the numbers or make a mnemonic you'll recognize them and be able to identify ones that don't belong.

Aside from that, I'd strongly suggest Mike Meyer's udemy course and textbook, along with Professor Messer.

You'll need to know power supplies, SATA connectors on the HD and Motherboard, Firewire, Coax connectors, Fiber, types of RAM.....its not a walk in the park, but far from insurmountable.

And take practice exams!Transcender was good for me but can get pricey.

Yeah I've read David prowse exam cram I've done mike meyers udemy as well. I've been scoring in the 715s and up on the exams online as well. Can you break down your accroymn for. "Bagnac"
  • Options
    BAGNAC:

802.11B 2.4 GHZ 11mbps
    802.11A 5ghz 54mbps
    802.11G 2.4 54mbps
    802.11N 2.4/5 ghz 600mbps
    802.11AC 5ghz > 1gpbs

I did that to keep the speeds in order...made it easier for me to remember.
  • Options
    BAGNAC:

802.11B 2.4 GHZ 11mbps
    802.11A 5ghz 54mbps
    802.11G 2.4 54mbps
    802.11N 2.4/5 ghz 600mbps
    802.11AC 5ghz > 1gpbs

I did that to keep the speeds in order...made it easier for me to remember.

I see, thanks man that helps me cause thats my weak point. Is remember the specific speeds of devices and whatnot.