Options

CISA- Preliminary pass April 18- Without IT Background

drosedrose Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got preliminary pass today and it was surprising. Because i really do not confident about 80% of questions.

I don't have IT related degree.

I have worked 5 months for cisa, mostly last 15 days. I spend 90 hours on QA DB.

I used official RM and QA DB for preperation. I first do the QA DB and reading the manual after.

This was not quite good then i change my direction to first read the manual(which was so boring and very dry book!) and then solve the questions inside the QA DB.

I do database 2 to 3 times and my average scores about 70%. So you should not lose confident . If you memorize the questions, you will able to reach 95% on DB but it will reflect the true condition of you.

The exam was similar questioning logic as QA DB. I think real exam content was less technical compared to QA DB.

My advice is focus on more non technical parts of the exam e.g. business continuity, disaster recovery, governance of IT. 30 % of exam questions are related about them cause these areas included all chapters.

Next goals are CISM and CISSP, good luck everyone who study for CISA !

Comments

• Options
    fallen_warriorfallen_warrior Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you had no IT Audit or IT security background? Still able to pass. Man, thats great. I majored in Computer Science Engineering. You think I would be able to crack it?
  • Options
    ger_safger_saf Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, I want to know the difference QA DB btw
    CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 12 Month Subscription and
    CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Database - 6 Month Extension. Especially on number questions? are both 1000 QA DB
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You will need to purchase the 12 month subscription first before purchasing the 6 month extension if you require additional study time. It is unfortunate that you can't purchase the 6 month subscription outright.
  • Options
    Thanks.....Quick question regarding CISM Work experience.

I have 2 years full time work experience as InfoSec and Compliance and 4 years experience in System and Network Eng especially in security related tasks such as technical implementation of PCIDSS and PCI PTS. And I have degree in Computer Science. Is that enough for CISM Work experience requirements.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ger_saf wrote: »
    Thanks.....Quick question regarding CISM Work experience.

I have 2 years full time work experience as InfoSec and Compliance and 4 years experience in System and Network Eng especially in security related tasks such as technical implementation of PCIDSS and PCI PTS. Is that enough for CISM Work experience requirements.

How to Become CISM Certified
    bMvebcY.png

So, if I am reading right, you could have two years Subbed for the Network stuff. Possibly more if it related enough to the practice analysis areas.
    and the two years of infosec, which should count directly. So worst case 1 year of experience in the next 10 years or you're already good.
  • Options
    Yeah...Currently I have 2 years in InfoSec and previous 4 Years in System & Network.
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I recommend going on ISACA's website and pulling up the CISM Application form as this will show task statements you have successfully performed. Not only that, you must have your current/previous supervisor attesting that you successfully done those tasks like all higher level certifications. ISACA also needs to recognize that you need diverse amount of experience in all domains and not just concentrated in one.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    So you had no IT Audit or IT security background? Still able to pass. Man, thats great. I majored in Computer Science Engineering. You think I would be able to crack it?

Realize that the ISACA exams test if you understand IT auditing, InfoSec management, Risk management, etc. the way ISACA see these fields. Unless you have taken college classes that were based directly on ISACA materials it is unlikely you would see much that would be familiar to you on the ISACA exams.
  • Options
    LarryFormLarryForm Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow!!!
    Congratulations Drose.
    I am going in for the CISA by end of May 2018.
  • Options
    pgupta101pgupta101 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am working in IT since long time and preparing for CISA using Q&A DB.
    The absurdness of the questions and logic of the answers are nothing less than game of tricks.
    Now i understand why the passing rate is so low for ISACA exams. It is not because of lack of knowledge of the cert seekers, but because of the absurd logic of the answers (ISACA way of thinking) which causes failures.
    The questions in Q&A remind of Elephant/Giraffe in the freeze trick jokes.
    Giraffe | Elephant | Refrigerator — A 2 Minute IQ test!

If CISA cert weren't the pre-requisite for most of the Audit Jobs in the world, i would like to give up trying for this cert. Because it is not really adding any value to the knowledge.
    I wish somehow those employers should look into the exam of CISA, before asking for the cert.
    Same goes for ISACA too!!
  • Options
    VikeeyVikeey Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You got your result in how many days?