Options

Need Advice! I believe my manager wants to fire me

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I posted on this board a few days ago about my new manager. I'm desperately looking for another job- I've been on 2 interviews so far and unfortunate haven't gotten a call back. My manager has written me up for the 2nd time in 2 months, but the thing is she's writing up while I'm training. I'm learning a new system and she wants me to perform the duties of the Senior Finance Analyst since I support them, but I also perform audits as well. I never was a Senior Finance Analyst and I don't have a finance background, but she told me since I am part of systems support, I need to know the duties of the SFA. So my first time ever doing month close, I had a couple minor mistakes, mind you, I'm in training, so I'm still learning. My manager was enraged, it was written all over her face. The mistakes were minor and I corrected them, but she still decided to write me up. She brought up the mistakes and she also stated that I'm not progressing fast enough because I ask questions; she told me I should not be asking questions and I should do the work independently. It's really frustrating because I did not sign up to be an SFA. I got the job to peform IT audits and system support, but now it has morphed into me learning and performing the duties of an SFA in which my performance review will be based off of as well. Does this sound logical? Anyone with supervisory or management experience please chime in. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    New manager isn't being at all logical if that makes you feel any better. You already know what you need to do, and you're doing it, keep looking for that new job. Obviously you don't want to get fired before that happens, stressful time for sure but just do the best that you can do. I have to wonder what kind of HR dept is OK with formal write ups over not knowing how to do someone else's job.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    go to HR or keep looking or be defiant and tell them thats not what you signed up for.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Is there someone above her (in the mean time), that you can talk to? Keep sending out resumes. I wouldn't want to work for that type of manager. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO, If you have a meeting with all your IT peeps, bring up your issues then...That way it is being heard throughout the office. If she wants to start BS then you need to throw it right back at her. I would definitely let HR know though because obviously too many write ups will end up with termination. However, I guess you could get some sort of unemployment benefits if you are fired, that will at least be some moola coming in while you are looking for another job. Just be sure not to put this current job on your resume, unless you have been working there awhile.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may also consider talking to your state's workforce commission. They may have some advice for you.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I call conflict of interest!!

Honestly - is there no Seperation of Duties (SOD) for this role? You can't be the implementer of financial statements and also be the auditor or support without major conflict.

Without knowing more than this thread, I'd question if this is something you should be doing. (are you truly a financial analyst or not?)
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I definitely believe you are being targeted, for whatever reason. Your best avenue is to talk to HR and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. That way if you have expressed how you feel about doing a job for what you weren't hired, they do nothing and get rid of you, you MIGHT be able to contest with a Wrongful Termination suit. It's very difficult, and can be expensive if you lose, but I would stand my ground and force them to prove me wrong. You're in the Bay Area, so the market is EXTREMELY competitive, and I'm sure they'd be able to find someone else in a heartbeat. However, that doesn't give them the right to walk all over you. I really hope it works out for you.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How on earth can someone expect a support guy to perform the duties of a financial analyst? Especially without a background in finance. As it was mentioned earlier, separation of duties is there to prevent an auditor from creating financial documents.

Send out resumes and document EVERYTHING! Good luck!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This sounds pretty ridiculous. I would request a meeting with her and her boss.
  • Options
    No, I am not a Financial Analyst and never had the desire to be one. I initially got the job as Financial Systems Analyst then my previous manager, whom I really liked a lot, helped me to become an IT Auditor. He was trying to help me grow and encouraged me to get my CISA. He gave me excellent reviews, then we got a Manager II, and nobody gets along with her. I heard she had a high turnover rate in the last department she supervised. My manager and her didn't get along, so he left. I honestly wanted to continue my career there, but now since she's in charge, I just want to get out. The only positive feedback I've gotten from her was I'm a good I.T. Auditor.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take your IT audit talent elsewhere. This position has morphed into a financial systems analyst role with some IT support. You've gotten some experience and the CISA and if you want to continue your career toward that path then this isn't the right fit for you. Check out ISACA events/meetups and see if you can get your foot in the door somewhere that values you and can help grow your career.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    anthonxanthonx Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you tell us a little bit about your company? How many IT auditors in your company? As pointed out earlier, there is no separation of duties audit and finance/accounting. Sounds like the best thing to do is apply for another job.
    AnthonX
  • Options
    Flyslinger2Flyslinger2 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I always say to anyone that will listen: "Don't love your company because your company doesn't love you."

You have to look out for #1 which is you and your family, if you have one. Get on LinkedIn if you aren't already. That is a goldmine for professionals. I'm constantly getting inquiries. I would not say much around the work place. Loose lips sink ships. You don't know who your buddy really is and someone may want your job.

Stay professional. Remain courteous. Give 120%. Get your resume on the street.
  • Options
    My duties are primarily IT Audit, but since I've worked as a systems analyst, I'm still called on to do systems analyst work for finance and accounting people. There are 3 other IT auditors, but it seems to be me and one another person my manager is aiming to get rid of.
  • Options
    I've applied for several jobs on Linkedin. I'm thinking I should just go with a recruiting/contract company like Norland Group or Teksystems for now, just to get out. Has anyone ever done contract work?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to finance, this is normal for any finance position. System support or actual analyst, lot's of heat in that type of position. Especially month end....With that said if you didn't sign up for this and was steered into without your will, do what you are doing and keep on looking!

At OP how long have you been in this role?
  • Options
    Hi DatabaseHead, everything was fine when my previous manager was here. Since we've gotten this new lady, it's just so stressful. My manager was helping to develop me into a full fledge auditor. The company paid for and sent me to training with the IAA (Internal Audit). I was happy here until she came along. It seems as if she is making up stuff, such as her saying I'm progressing slow in learning the system and SFA duties. I've always been told I'm a fast learner and I always got excellent reviews on my yearly eval. This is the first time I've ever had a negative eval and a write up. Have you ever worked as a contractor? I'm getting desperate and thinking about working for a contract agency.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the high road - keep applying and interviewing, get another job, give two weeks notice, just nod your head and say "yes ma'am", give your exit interview, and never recommend the company to others. No job is a hill to die on.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hey New2ITinCali, long time no see. Very personal decision but I think staying silent is bad. Upward managing is very important, especially in cases like this where there is an obvious character flaw. Maybe no one has ever stood up to this lady and she keeps doing things the same way making everyone miserable. By being quiet you are just making it harder on yourself and those that will stay behind and work under her. It looks like you are working on an exit plan which is great, but please consider raising the concern to the appropriate individuals. Providing feedback to HR or a manager above her could result in anything from a reprimand to her to completely backfiring and resulting in you being fired. Be aware of the potential consequences and then act accordingly.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    she sounds like a nut job...I worked in a hospital before...no one expected me to be a doctor (although I claimed to be one on facebook, true story)

In all seriousness, I don't know your situation, but I would talk to her boss and escalate the issue, from the sound of it I wouldn't be surprised if her hire ups didn't know that her ways are questionable.

Good luck either way, it's a difficult situation...and it takes time to find a new job, so don't be disheartened, it'll happen.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been let go before. It was something similar to the OP's situation.

To the OP
    1) Document everything to the best of your ability.

2) Call the unemployment office in your state and let them know what's going. You should get their opinion on this issue ASAP. See in what ways would you qualify for unemployment. What needs to happen for you to get unemployment..?

3) Update your resume on linked and the Microsoft word version.

I think you should raise this issue to HR and see what they say.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I posted on this board a few days ago about my new manager. I'm desperately looking for another job- I've been on 2 interviews so far and unfortunate haven't gotten a call back. My manager has written me up for the 2nd time in 2 months, but the thing is she's writing up while I'm training. I'm learning a new system and she wants me to perform the duties of the Senior Finance Analyst since I support them, but I also perform audits as well. I never was a Senior Finance Analyst and I don't have a finance background, but she told me since I am part of systems support, I need to know the duties of the SFA. So my first time ever doing month close, I had a couple minor mistakes, mind you, I'm in training, so I'm still learning. My manager was enraged, it was written all over her face. The mistakes were minor and I corrected them, but she still decided to write me up. She brought up the mistakes and she also stated that I'm not progressing fast enough because I ask questions; she told me I should not be asking questions and I should do the work independently. It's really frustrating because I did not sign up to be an SFA. I got the job to peform IT audits and system support, but now it has morphed into me learning and performing the duties of an SFA in which my performance review will be based off of as well. Does this sound logical? Anyone with supervisory or management experience please chime in. Thanks in advance!!

Keep looking for a new job.

I hope this video I posted below helps.

How to get a new job when you're working full time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRs4KN5aul4

If you're working full-time, you don't have time to waste. You also can't afford to tip off the boss that you've got one foot out the door. Let me spare you from the biggest job seeker mistakes, and help you find your dream job faster and easier.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Thanks so much NetworkingStudent! I watched the video. It is very informative!
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes reporting to HR may get you into more trouble, so just becareful. If the manager is a favorite and/or got the job due to friends/family members than it wouldn't do any good to report to HR. Remember HR works for the company not you the employee. You can always try to talk to the manager? Let them know that you're still in training and learning though that may backfire. As with unemployment benefits, it can be very tricky as companies do try to prevent you from getting it. I had a company try to force me to quitting instead getting fired so I wouldn't get unemployment so I told them to go pound sand and left.
  • Options
    I just received my Performance Improvement Plan. Looks like she's giving me 30 days to improve or else I will face adverse action according to the PIP she gave me. I've sent out tons of resumes and app's on Linkedin and also on Indeed.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    She sounds like a real *****. Can you go to HR? Send those resumes out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just received my Performance Improvement Plan. Looks like she's giving me 30 days to improve or else I will face adverse action according to the PIP she gave me. I've sent out tons of resumes and app's on Linkedin and also on Indeed.
    Thirty days seems a bit on the short side. I thought PIPs were ninety days.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□

When you receive a PIP, expect to get fired. It definitely sounds like your manager has it in on you. It sucks but in the working world it gets very political, with people tossing others under the bus. People just don't like you for whatever reason, you can be the kindest and even quietest person, minding your own business just working but someone may still go after you, it's like what do you than?

Keep applying to other jobs and be prepared for a fight.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I've spoken with an employment attorney for feedback and advice, but sounds like there's not really much I can do. It sucks because I know she has something against me and saying I'm incompetent at fulfilling the duties of an FSA although I'm an IT Auditor is insane. I got called for an interview today, I'm hoping all goes well. Until then I'm walking on eggshells.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck with it. When you interview, be sure to put the whole situation aside. Dogs smell fear and potential employers smell desperation.