SSCP CPE questions

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently working on getting my CCNA Cyber Ops, I looked and this will renew my Security+ which is nice. Looking at renewing my SSCP it isn't quite the same.

From what I read here https://downloads.isc2.org/certifications/cpe-guidelines.pdf it seems that I will earn 30 group A CPE for passing the exam (seems like 30 flat vs matching the number of hours studied). We also bought Carbon Black where I work and had them throw in their certification (Cb Defense Associate Analyst) which I got, it was open book, very little study and very easy.

So my question is, would these two certifications provide the 60 CPE needed so I can submit them and be done for the 3 years? Did I miss something or do I need to do a certain number per year rather than all in one year? Attached are some screenshots from the PDF, it didn't want to copy/paste cleanly.

Comments

• tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asked something similar. This was the direct reply from ISC2

Amanda:
    Absolutely! The CPE progress page is showing how close you are to completing the three-year CPE requirements as we are no longer enforcing the annual requirements. After reviewing your records, I can confirm you have 14.50 of the 60 CPE requirement met. To meet the three-year CPE requirement, you will have until 31 August 2020 to submit another 45.5 CPEs

Hope that helps OP
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, that does answer my question about the time frame. Maybe I should Email them and ask them about these two certifications equaling 60 CPE. Would be great to be done with renewals .
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From the ISC CPE Guideline:
    Members who have studied to obtain an additional professional certification and are awarded that certification can claim up to 30 CPE credits for the preparation or self-study work they did to achieve that certification. If the additional certification is related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group A credits. If the additional certification is not related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group B credits. CPE credits associated with obtaining additional professional certifications are awarded for the time they spent in preparation for obtaining the additional credential but not for achieving the certification.

What I understand about this, is you don't get 30 CPE for a new cert, only for the preparation of one. I think they understand that obtaining a cert, you have to put time to read book, do some practice test, do labs, so they permit you to add up to 30 CPE for this preparation.

For the CCNA Cyber ops, I would bet you put at least 30 hours to prepare for the test. For the Carbon Black, I would ask myself how much time I put to obtain the cert and put that amount of CPE