Options

In-progress Cert on Resume

thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I know it wouldn't look good to list a whole bunch of "in-progress" certs on a resume, but how about a single one at the bottom of the list of several completed certs?
2019 Goals: CCNP R&S

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    How far away are you from completion?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Back in the 90s we could get away with that, today I would seriously counsel NOT including such information. First, it makes you look unfocused not focused on a particular path or goal. Second, going back to the entire goal thing are you fishing for a position doing anything related to these certs or seriously perusing half a dozen unfinished certifications? That would likely be my first impression.

List those certificates you have completed and save the studying and training stuff for color commentary during an interview. Be focused on that position only and how that next cert will really help you add value for the employer.

- b/eads
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Save your resume for your actual accomplishments and use your cover letter for your goals.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @beads OP is talking about putting 1 cert in progress on his resume after their list of certs already achieved.

I typically don't like seeing Cert ABC (in progress) on a resume. If you have the exam already scheduled for a specific date then I'm okay with you including that on the resume as Cert ABC (scheduled for May 5, 201icon_cool.gif or similar. Too many people abused this previously by putting certs in progress or "studying" and either hadn't started studying or never completed them.

So if you have a set end date for the cert (either scheduled or expected) and have legitimately started studying and are committed to completing it then I am good with having it on a resume. And as an interviewer I will ask where you are at in your progress to see if you're just bs'ing to get through the HR/resume filter.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only think It's okay when there are multiple steps and you're indicating where you are so, MCSE in progress, MCSA already achieved or CCIE in progress, written already passed. When you do it for a cert that needs a single exam, I have no idea how long you've been working on it or when you'll realistically finish. This makes me think you're trying to be sneaky.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    I only think It's okay when there are multiple steps and you're indicating where you are so, MCSE in progress, MCSA already achieved or CCIE in progress, written already passed. When you do it for a cert that needs a single exam, I have no idea how long you've been working on it or when you'll realistically finish. This makes me think you're trying to be sneaky.

+1. Was goin g to say exactly this. Simply studying doesn't indicate progress, only completing actual tasking should count as "in progress."
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Makes sense. If you hit milestones in what makes up a larger certification absolutely, but if you are just studying for a stand alone test, no way that looks CHEEZY
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No 'in progress' certs on resume...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I had CCNP down as a currently studying cert on my last resume but at the time I was literally 2/3 of the way
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To answer the OP's actual question, as someone who has reviewed resumes and written them, I'd say you do you. If you want to put it down, go for it. Why not? If someone throws out your resume over that part, you probably don't want to work for them anyway. I think most people ask this question either when they're working towards something very important or don't have much of a resume and need to get things in there. Personally, though, I don't do it. But I won't think down on someone who does. That said, I think it's ok to not include them and instead put them in a cover letter or make sure you mention if in your interview. It shows you are doing something actively to self-start and move forward. I would also be ok with it if you're able to mark down some provable progress towards the full thing, like the MSCA steps or x years towards a BS.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Please don't do it. So many people try this and it gets tiresome. Yeah maybe one isn't as bad as the people with 5 or 6 "in progress" certs that I've seen (yes, this has happened). If I had a dollar for every "CISSP in progress" $$$$.

Serious though, if you think this cert will give you that much of a leg up over the competition, just wait to apply or push harder to complete the cert. People around here forget that they're semi-unicorns. Multiple certs, multiple high level certs. Alot of people have zero certs. In a stack of 50 (for example) I may have 5 or 10 who have certs, usually they have the better resumes as well (usually, but not always the case). If its something like the CCIE, or something, the rate drops (1:50) The letters and their use signify that you've achieved something. There is no guarantee you will pass a given exam. Life could get in the way. You could switch careers or become a fugitive on the run.
    No A+
    No CCNA
    CCIE
    VCP
    CISSP
    OSCP
    and so on.

School is a bit different. When you put in progress on there, that's presumably after you've already applied and been accepted to the school, and are officially enrolled in some capacity. The difference there is, Cisco/CCIE offers you no affiliation until you walk through the doors of both the written and practical. I'm lookin squarely at "CCIE Written" folks, who try to convince us that they're bonafide CCIEs. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    I won't put down more than one that is "in progress." If you do that I agree with those above who say to have something quantifiable that you can't argue with. IE: once I put down something to the affect of "CCNP: completed 1 of 4 tests." (Used that years ago, and can't remember exact wording.)

About the CCIE though. Regardless how you feel it is a really touchy subject even here on TE. What I would say is it is fair to put down that you have complete the CCIE Written Exam in Track XYZ. An employer can't argue you haven't passed that exam. (A quick login to your Pearson Vue account could prove it.)

For the CCIE it seems like employers fall into two camps. One: they care because they need the cert for partner status, or it is Cisco directly. Second, it is a big "nice-to-have" but not a strict business requirement. In the end if the employer cares they will ask you about the written. Some do take it just to re-cert other exams. Some take it to eventually pass the lab. If the prospective employer takes the conversation about the actual lab exam, and you getting your digits, then bring up all the non-provable things you have done to prepare. IE: lab time, what you are doing to study, and so forth. You can use that to let your commitment come through, and see you are serious. This will help you shine through in the interview process.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It means you like to take credit for things you haven't done.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    dave330i wrote: »

If you don't have anything quantifiable to back up your progress I agree with what dave330i stated. However, if you have any cert/degree/passed exam/credential that is pertinent to the position you are applying, I would get it on your resume. HR departments use degrees/certs as justifications for higher salaries. You are lowering your value in the market place by not putting that you passed a test down.

Lastly, the best perspective I ever heard about a resume is this, "A resume is nothing more than your personalized marketing document."
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No.

(stuffs up to 7 chars)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If it’s a multiple exam cert and you’ve passed one or more yes. Besides that I wouldn’t.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it’s a multiple exam cert and you’ve passed one or more yes. Besides that I wouldn’t.
    I agree with this...for example the CCNP and you have passed 1/3 or more exams. The problem is if you put "in-progress", it doesn't really mean much because there is no measurement for how far along you are towards passing. You could bring up what you are studying in an interview, but if you get hired it will be because of what you have...not what you might get in the future (in most cases).
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have no issue with adding just 1 cert in progress if you clearly mark (in progress) after it and you are really "in progress". If asked about it you should be able to cover the material you've gone over. Having the book on your desk or in your basket doesn't count.

I believe this demonstrates you are serious/passionate about the field and shows you're willing to dedicate personal time to it.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

Exactly
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    How far away are you from completion?

1/2 exams complete. Should have the 2nd done by July.

This seems like quite a leap. If you read a resume and it says:

Certifications:
    A+
    Net+
    Sec+
    Linux+ (in-progress 1/2 exams complete)

...and from that you gather that the person likes to take credit for things they haven't done, then at the same time you must conclude that anyone who lists 2 years complete of a 4 year Bachelor degree is guilty of the same thing. With that logic, no one should even mention they're working on a degree until it's complete.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□

Certifications:
    A+
    Net+
    Sec+
    This looks alright to me. To make it even better, schedule the exam and put the exam date on there too.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    JamesBarkerJamesBarker Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've mentioned it to employers and recruiters before during interview, personally coming to think of it now, its kind of pointless unless you have a promised date booked for the exam.
    Like mentioned in a post above - your taking credit for something you haven't done or could potentially do yet.
    Best thing to do is gain the certifications and market them, make the presences be known that you have achieved them.
    I see so many people who have decent certifications and just don't get out there and market the fact that they have them.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would put it under a separate “Current Studies” sections. No one can complain that you are trying to claim credit for something you haven’t yet achieved since it’s not listed underneath a “Certification” section.

There is a huge double standard here as you’ve already noticed. Some people think listing half-finished degrees on a resume is acceptable, but listing half-finished certs is not.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1/2 exams complete. Should have the 2nd done by July.

Certifications:
    A+
    Net+
    Sec+

...and from that you gather that the person likes to take credit for things they haven't done, then at the same time you must conclude that anyone who lists 2 years complete of a 4 year Bachelor degree is guilty of the same thing. With that logic, no one should even mention they're working on a degree until it's complete.

Yes. If getting a degree is a matter of formality (i.e. Just need to attend school for few more months), not a big deal in listing it (all the hard parts are done). If it's 2 years away, why are you listing it?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don’t add in-progress stuff anymore because I am at more senior level and it wouldn’t make a difference, but back in the day my personal rule was to include it only if it was booked and within the next 30 days. It never lead to any specific conversation but I was always ready to speak to the CBK if asked.

As a hiring manager now, if I see any cert “in-progress” you better be able to speak to it. The vast majority of candidates that I’ve come accross who do this, do not have the exam booked, provide vague dates (“fall”, “this year”), and can’t speak to the subject matter. Obvious BS. You can imagine where that resume goes after the interview.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. If getting a degree is a matter of formality (i.e. Just need to attend school for few more months), not a big deal in listing it (all the hard parts are done). If it's 2 years away, why are you listing it?

I listed my expected graduation date when I was in college. Even only 1 year in. I don't see the issue and neither did any employers. If anything, they were impressed to see I had outside direction.

I don't see the big deal at all.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    imo same story for expired. just be ready to answer related questions
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You either have the certification or you don't have it. The almost have it could be anywhere from Your thinking about getting it, you purchased a study book (but never actually opened it), you heavily studied for it, or your scheduled to take the exam next week. If I asked 100 people in an interview are you working on any certifications, 90 percent of them would say yes, but less the 10% would be actively persuading one. In short leave the almost have it off your resume, if you tell me in an interview you almost have a cert, I would hold it against you, I would assume you just say that but didn't actually make any headway towards that goal. I would however included recently expired certifications, (included expiration date) they show you had the skills/knowledge in the past. If you held say a CCNA and it's 2 years expired, I would hardly expect you to just forget what you learned even though the cert expired.
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I had CCNP down as a currently studying cert on my last resume but at the time I was literally 2/3 of the way
    This would be the exception to the rule, you can actually prove you passed 1 or 2 exams with "Cisco's certification tracking system" to prove to an employer (or potential employer) your making progress to obtaining your CCNP. In this case I would say I'm working on my CCNP and passed X number of exams thus far towards my goal.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've tried this method in the past but it honestly never got anywhere. I decided at one point to remove "in-progress" certs from my resumes and worked on completing them before I applied and interviewed. I always mention during my interviews what my future goals are and list what I'm working on then.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't find that putting "(in progress)" behind a cert is taking credit for it. Clearly you're not, since you're not saying you have it. I think those words mean you're in the process of getting it.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?