Options

Remove CCNA from resume now I have CCNP?

Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
As per title, I'm a recent CCNP R&s holder, should I now remove CCNA r&s from my resume?

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes. You don't need it anymore. It's assumed you have CCNA level knowledge to get to the CCNP.

I remove irrelevant certs from my resume when applying for different things.

However, there are posts (very rare) of people getting turned down because they "only" had their CCNP/CCIE and not a CCNA. HR filter type of stuff. I just don't think it's common enough to really make me change things on a resume.

Also - congratulations on the CCNP!
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your resume should be customized for each position you apply for so, it depends. If they ask for a CCNA, you put it on there, if they don't, you decide based on the job requirements.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The earlier point of silly HR filters is valid. Maybe something like CCNA / CCNP? People who know what it is will get it, others won't really know that having the CCNP implies that you already did the CCNA. Sort of like HR folks who want a CEH but will turn down someone with a GPEN or OSCP because they asked for CEH.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Just got a couple of recent certs, and HR guys still ask if my CCNA is still valid. If you have plenty of space in your resume, add it!
    Only unnecessary if your resume is going straight to the hiring manager.
  • Options
    PaycheckPaycheck Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've rarely met HR people who knew the nuances of IT certifications. Practically never, in fact. I'd write your CCNP above your CCNA, showing the dates you got each one. HR computers' filters and all....
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This has come up at work a few times. I was originally of the opinion that only the highest/most relevant certs should be listed to keep the resume clean and tidy. My mind was changed by a few people and seeing how the company works.

Let's be honest, the recruiters don't have a clue, and our job requirements are written to the minimum we require. This means that if you take the CCNA off of your resume, our recruiters will never pass it up to us, because they're looking for a CCNA not a CCNP. We'd prefer a CCNP and would pay more for someone with one, but for the infrastructure positions we want someone with a CCNA at a minimum.

I'm now firmly of the opinion to just list all the certs at the end for HR filtering.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the filter I'd recommend to list them all. I seen to many network engineer roles asking for CCNA or related experience but its CCNP level work.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I might just list it as "CCNP/CCNA R&S "
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Hi Welly,

Congrats on passing the CCNP.

Has the knowledge gained from the CCNP helped you in your current career as a network engineer?
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Nisseki wrote: »
    Hi Welly,

Congrats on passing the CCNP.

Has the knowledge gained from the CCNP helped you in your current career as a network engineer?

Most definitely. I've received 2 job offers and the offer of a match from existing employer since passing!

For me, the CCNP was a way to show I have the skills even though I have relatively little experience compared to others in my field
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have a resume you're putting on job boards for people to search then I'd definitely still list it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I keep all my certs listed in my linkedin profile and on my resume, it does not hurt to keep them listed and might be very helpful.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    In order to get the CCNP R/S, you need a CCNA, so it's pretty much implied. I think the CCIE is the only cisco cert you can obtain without prior certs. (Just need lots of money)
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!