Options

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited September 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees

Comments

• Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link, great tips indeed. My wife actually shared similar info with me previously but we can't remember where it was from.

Another great way to avoid automated systems: LinkedIn... and let the recruiters put you in front of the line.

I'm currently far along an interviewing process and I never sent in a resume lol, I guess my linkedin and charm in the first couple of interviews were more than enough. And this is with the second largest private company in the USA.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have my serious doubt on the serif vs. sans serif issue. This may have been a thing back in the early 2010s but I seriously doubt this is a thing in 2018. Most ATS I've seen spit back the extracted info to you for approval before submitting, so you would notice something missing if you used serif fonts and they were parsed incorrectly. If anyone has any solid evidence that this is prevalent, I would love to see/hear it.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have my serious doubt on the serif vs. sans serif issue. This may have been a thing back in the early 2010s but I seriously doubt this is a thing in 2018. Most ATS I've seen spit back the extracted info to you for approval before submitting, so you would notice something missing if you used serif fonts and they were parsed incorrectly. If anyone has any solid evidence that this is prevalent, I would love to see/hear it.

Beat me to it! Didn't read after this paragraph, came back here to express my doubts, sounds like complete BS.
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing you have to consider (and be concerned about) is when you have your resume parsed for information and the only thing it takes is school and past work experience. Often times the systems don't even have a section for skills, certifications, etc so all of this information is "lost" when the lazy human resources professional logs into their ATS and says "nope, no matches today, still looking!". if that's the case, you need to take your skills section and plug them into your past work experiences so you can get credit for them.

I can't stand HRIS systems. They breed laziness and incompetence among human resource professional. They give the good HR people a bad name and the bad HR people look competent. Meanwhile qualified applicants get missed left and right.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Squished wrote: »
    I can't stand HRIS systems. They breed laziness and incompetence among human resource professional. They give the good HR people a bad name and the bad HR people look competent. Meanwhile qualified applicants get missed left and right.
    I've met only one competent HR person in my career. The rest can fog a mirror and that is about it. Where are these so called "good" HR people? Are they unicorns?

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've met only one competent HR person in my career. The rest can fog a mirror and that is about it. Where are these so called "good" HR people? Are they unicorns?

I agree with you. I had ONE many years back. The rest are all incompetent and LAZY. My god are they lazy.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”