MGT414: SANS Training Program for CISSP® Certification

sulysuly Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,

This is my first post in this forum.

I would like to ask about SANS course for CISSP.

Is it worth to attend?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you paying for it? Then no. There is tons of good material for the CISSP that is nowhere near thousands of dollars.
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Are you paying for it? Then no. There is tons of good material for the CISSP that is nowhere near thousands of dollars.

What if via work study (not with Conrad).. is it still not worth it?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Nope, not worth it in my opinion. You can easily grab a ton of free training like Cybrary as well as books and pass this test.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with cyberguypr, even that cybrary material is fantastic. For work study you'd pay $1500 just to go, plus possible hotel, food, work leave, etc, not work it for pretty standard, non SANS specific, material.
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't have my CISSP yet, but I've had 2 guys work with me who self studied with Sybex and Cybrary and had very little issues with that test. I would think if you're going to spend the money on SANS training, make it something very worthwhile and things you can take back to your job. The perk of those courses are the hands-on labs after all.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just want to note that, if SANS really covers all the CBK and intends to prepare you for the CISSP, they, apparently, don't think that the exam is too complicated by SANS standards.

Typically, SANS courses are graded by complexity with the first number of the course. Courses that start with 4 are meh, 5 are average, 6 are difficult and the only one course that starts with 7 is nuts. I've heard that they are courses that start with 3, but they probably are for complete and hopeless dummies.
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just want to note that, if SANS really covers all the CBK and intends to prepare you for the CISSP, they, apparently, don't think that the exam is too complicated by SANS standards.

Typically, SANS courses are graded by complexity with the first number of the course. Courses that start with 4 are meh, 5 are average, 6 are difficult and the only one course that starts with 7 is nuts. I've heard that they are courses that start with 3, but they probably are for complete and hopeless dummies.

Respectfully disagree with you on your assessment.

SANS gives it an identifying number based on where it would stand in Advanced Academia. This is due to their status as being nationally and regionally accredited through their STI program. The 500 level courses are those of enough advanced knowledge that it would be expected to be at a Graduate level course. 3 and 4 level courses are those you would see in upper-level undergrad studies. There is also a reason there is only one 700 level course.

You also mention that you've "heard" they have a 300 level course. Well it isn't really you've heard, but moreso if you had looked it up (https://www.sans.org/courses/) you would see there is in fact a 200 and 300 level course respectively.

SEC201: Computing & Technology Essentials
    SEC301: Introduction to Cyber Security
    MGT305: Technical Communication and Presentation Skills for Security Professionals

And while these courses may be under your knowledge set, they are great courses for professionals who are trying to either break into the IT spectrum with very little knowledge of current trends or advanced theories (think the 40 year old who is trying to transition from logistics to IT). They are not geared towards someone who can take FOR610 and pass the GIAC cert that follows it. Congratulations on your successes, but I would caution calling anyone a hopeless dummy because they took something below your standards. Most likely the person taking SEC301 is not going to be your peer in reversing malware.