Options

netware and mac

davidhdavidh Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
anyone who took the test care to comment on the level of coverage on the test?

Comments

• Options
    rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt have anything on either but I will give you some help. Theres probably more to this but this is the bulk of what I know about them

MAC Addresses
    * MAC addresses are 12 characters long in hexidecimal (0-F).
    * The first 6 characters identify the manufacture of the device.
    * MAC addresses are also known as BIA or Burned In Addresses.
    * BIA and MAC are synonymes and can be used in sentences to mean the same thing.
    * MAC addresses work at the Media Access Control sublayer (hence their name) of the Data Link layer (Layer 2 of the OSI Model).
    * MAC addresses are specified in the 802.2 standard
    * Heres an example of a MAC address: 0F-B5-34-7C-EE-3D

NetWare
    * The Graphical User Interface (GUI pronounced Gooyie) for NetWare didn't exist until NetWare 4.
    * Netware uses SPX/IPX addresses
    * Netware uses the X.500 standard for its directory services (directory services as in Microsoft's Active Directory, which also runs off of the X.500 standard)
    (theres more to NetWare then I remember like what is required to log in which, I think, is a user name, password, domain, and...tree?)

SPX/IPX
    Heres a little trick in helping you remember the difference between SPX and IPX. Im going to compair it to TCP/IP because they have some similariities

SPX is used like TCP in TCP/IP. It is used to make sure the messages arrive at their respected places. Think of this as like a delivery SERVICE, which is what the S in SPX stands for. IPX's purpose is much like IP's so just think of it as IP with an X thrown on the end :D. Do this just to tell the difference between SPX and IPX but do not use it to say that IPX is JUST like IP...its just something that makes it easy to remember.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If Mac you mean by Mac OS, I had a few on my exam.