Daily Motivations

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning Tech Fam,

What are some things you do everyday that motivates you? What are some things that continue to push you to further your career and study for certs? What have helped you not to become complacent in your career?

Thanks!

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That my family may die down the road if I don't do what's right right now. Plus, other people advance and pass me in inter-species competition while I'm wasting time, so I'd better not waste time. The game goes on 24/7 and never stops.

Basically, it's fear that motivates me to persist. It's either they win or me and I'd better make sure that it's me and not them.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    There is always something new to learn. No matter how hard it is to fathom sometimes (like IP addressing is for me), I keep reading..reading..reading
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I enjoy being good at my job, if I wasn't good at it I think I would be pretty miserable each day going to work.

That combined with I want whats best for my family. Being able to live in a safe neighborhood, in a nice house, go on a vacation every once in awhile...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What have helped you not to become complacent in your career?

The mental image of drinking coffee, watching the sun come up from the porch of my lakeside cabin after I retire. And knowing that if I'm complacent, I'll never have it.
  • PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me building a daily study habit, I wake up an hour before the rest of my family every morning and hit the books. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is when I wake up I just automatically am ready to study, so even if the day is out of control I have at least spent an hour learning something new and it is slowly compounding.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    For me it's Maslow and the theory of self-realization. The idea of fulfilling my potential and becoming the best version of myself that I can be is what keeps me going and pushing the envelope.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My faith in Christ, drive to be the best and reach the full potential of my destiny, passion for knowledge, and being able to help others above myself along the road of my journey in life!!

You never stop learning, pushing limits, or your growth. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    For me it's Maslow and the theory of self-realization. The idea of fulfilling my potential and becoming the best version of myself that I can be is what keeps me going and pushing the envelope.

This pretty much sums it up for me, along with the money too. Life is too short.
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My quest to be in the 1%. Not so I can be a rich ******* like many of them are, but so I can live easy with my family. I long for the day I don't live paycheck to paycheck and we can randomly decided today that we're going on vacation next week and book plane tickets without consideration of cost, etc.

People claim that money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure as hell helps.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Squished wrote: »
    My quest to be in the 1%. Not so I can be a rich ******* like many of them are, but so I can live easy with my family. I long for the day I don't live paycheck to paycheck and we can randomly decided today that we're going on vacation next week and book plane tickets without consideration of cost, etc.

People claim that money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure as hell helps.

I second that!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second that!! icon_thumright.gif
    No sense sugar coating it.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This page is a good motivation for any IT goal.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Motivations 1-5 is a good cup of coffee, then some more caffeine throughout the day.

My motivation to continue to do work related activities in spite of multiple 12-hour shifts is to seek out some element of "fun" in my work that can improve our day-to-day and dive at it.

QED, I found it strange that in an MSP with experienced individuals that my coworker still admits to spending 40 minutes of his day setting up a new computer from installing Windows 10 to our monitoring/AV agents, Chrome, etc. Given my newfound interest in automating tasks, I set out spending 8 hours of my weekend(this weekend really) doing a lot of research and testing on a virtual machine how to create an Answer File with the latest version of Windows 10 build 1803 and have had preliminary success in making a USB thumb drive that will automate the process that all you really have to do is stick it in, boot to it, and you'll have a machine ready to login with a preset local administrator account and password.

If successful, Phase 2 will be creating a script that will install and configure some default programs and settings as well as our agents when run. My goal would be to make this process simple enough that we can get an intern from college to be able to do this stuff with little mishaps.

But the short and sweet of it is:
    You need to find something you enjoy doing in order to keep doing it.

I don't get asked to automate much in my day job, but if I spend a bit of extra time doing it without being asked and demonstrate real-world benefits to being allowed to do it, I might be asked to do what I enjoy some more.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE