Options

Changing your mind after signing contract with new employer

Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
So keeping it brief, I've signed contract to start new full time position and currently working notice period with present employer. Had a call yesterday from a company local to me , I had been recommended to them by a mutual acquaintance (small industry in my neck of the woods).

This latest offer is 30% more than the offer I have accepted, plus it's 5 miles from home compared to 45 miles from home....sounds like a no-brainer?

I'm just a bit hesitant to break my contract with the offer I have already accepted.

Anyone been in a similar situation or want to offer advice?

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let them know if they want to match or give you more $ then you will stay on, but let them know it is more beneficial for you to take the better pay & closer commute. They might not like it, but $h1t happens. Cheers and congrats!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I'm just a bit hesitant to break my contract with the offer I have already accepted.

Define "contract". Is this a legal document that could leave you penalized, or is this simply terminology? If it's simply terminology then no-brainer, go with the new offer.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Define "contract". Is this a legal document that could leave you penalized, or is this simply terminology? If it's simply terminology then no-brainer, go with the new offer.

It's a standard contract of employment ie you will work these hours for this much salary on these days, with these terms
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I already offerred you a contract and you wanted to try to get me to counter/raise the offer before you even started I wouldn't even entertain it and I would tell you best of luck elsewhere...so I wouldn't go down that road.

I'd sign/accept the new offer since you seem to really like that opportunity and then after that I'd contact the other company and let them know that your situation has changed and that you've decided to pursue another opportunity and that you appreciate their time, apologize for any inconvenience, etc.

Congrats on the new gig(s)!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I hear "contract" i think legalese. This just sounds like you acepted a job offer. Absent the legal stuff, the worst possible scenario is that they get mad and call you names. If they want to declare the bridge as burned, that's on them. You do what you gota do. Remember that no one else will look out for your interest. I would just tell them as soccarplayer29 said that I am rescinding the acceptance as another opportunity that fits my goals came up.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would take the new offer, and just call the other company to explain, with an emphasis on much shorter the commute is, not the salary. And be apologetic. They'll either totally understand, and you're all set, or they'll be upset, in which case, you probably wouldn't have wanted to work there anyways.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go with the closer commute offer as long as you feel good about that company. Just call and tell them that you've found another opportunity and thank them for there offer but you'd have to decline/rescind than hang up. If they get all nasty than you wouldn't want to work there as EnderWiggin said.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    9 times closer in distance and 30% more money... I wouldn't even care if I burned a bridge! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    So keeping it brief, I've signed contract to start new full time position and currently working notice period with present employer.

Unless there is legal wording in the contract for penalizes for failing to complete the job, there's nothing to preventing you just not showing up for work. Usually contacts written with penalizes in it for failing to complete work, are for multimillion dollar contracts; something like to discourage a Movie Star from walking away in the middle of a movie production.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    9 times closer in distance and 30% more money... I wouldn't even care if I burned a bridge! icon_thumright.gif

Right. I'd send them a gift basket with a case of beer and a fire extinguisher.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you just signed an offer letter which is not a real contract. I'd take the better offer without hesitation
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OP: question: US or outside the US? "Contract" can mean different things depending on location and you don't list yours.
  • Options
    UK (making up to 7)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....