Options

So what job title would i qulify for with this degree ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know its weird to ask, but im lost on what position i would qualify for after obtaining this degree. I have been told network admin, but i have no experience or certs, im trying to obtain my ccna over the summer and i have about 3 semesters left in this program and ill be finished. I just get mixed up on the job titles, all i search for is computer networking jobs on indeed and there are 500 different names for the job title.

https://home.usm.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/information-technology

Comments

• Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a BS in IT, the opportunities are endless. What will help you is coupling that degree with some nice certs: CCNA/NP, Sec+, Net+, AWS, etc.... I'm actually in MS, just south of Memphis. I have my Associates in Networking and it's a transfer eligible degree that merges with the program you're in at USM so I'm currently deciding between WGU and USM. How are you liking the program there?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    all i search for is computer networking jobs on indeed and there are 500 different names for the job title.

Which is why you shouldn't get caught up in job titles. The same title can mean completely different things at different companies. Look for positions that the job duties are what you want to do.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Guessing your following the administration track not the developer track. Most likely your going to start out on a support desk and work your way into a junior network or administrator role.

Titles in and of themselves have become meaningless. I have meet a 24 year old 'security architect' who came directly from the help desk a few weeks earlier. I run the security department with one indirect report and refer to myself simply as 'security'. Generally preferring the title of analyst over 'engineer' or 'architect' as these are still and will continue to be professional designation granted by a qualifying certification body not the hiring organization.

Suspect the OP is really asking for with title consideration is how much money he/she can expect to make.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The program is ok, i am not a fan of the academic area for training at all so i try to respond in a positive manner. I have asked very old net workers in the field if they would respect a degree from WGU and i have gotten a negative response, i didnt ask why, my old server instructors just said no and that doesn't make any since to me cause everything i learn is through CBT nuggets, not the school and i believe that WGU uses CBT as a teaching method. Starting with the cons of this degree would be the liberal arts, i didnt half to take that much, maybe a semesters worth, but if you can handle classes like political science, trig, cal, literature and geology then all the better. As for the tech side of it, this school only has 4 classes in routing and switching through cisco netacade which is usually completed at the junior college level before you transfer over so you wont be doing any more routing and switching, you'll just go over windows server which is just a vague overview, C++ for two semesters, more SQL and Linux or as i call a relearning course cause i took SQL and Linux over 2 years ago when i first started and haven't used it since, hence i forgot everything about it commands and all. Ya there are allot more classes im not mentioning, but i would talk to future employers honestly and ask if they would prefer someone with a degree form WGU or USM. WGU is way more attractive to me cause they include those certs in with the degree which if not mistaken would act as a midterm or final which makes allot of since and sounds great to me. Most grades at USM dont graduate with a cert from what i can tell, a few might obtain a CCNA. Ya the school though is decent size, easy to navigate around from class to class, your looking at around 45000 per semester full time, i would double check with each instructor on whether you need a the book from the class or not and if not, save yourself the money and study on the side through CBT Nuggets which is 80 bucks a months because as im sure you know, classes in IT just go over some basics if even that, its mainly on you to teach yourself from ground up while playing the degree game on the side.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check boxes in the image are in order of importance. You won't need all four starting out, but it certainly helps.

Just get a degree and move on to another checkbox. You have your entire life to learn the tech stuff.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP