Options

Question in application form

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
So this question is asking me “Tell us about a time where you had to resolve a technical issue relating to home broadband/connectivity issues?”

What exactly is this asking? Does it have to relate to internet / WAN connectivity or can it be any networking issue at all? Something like the internet is not reachable, test connectivity by pinging local host, ping gateway, eventually discover that the WAN interface is administratively down and needs to be brought up? Also how much detail should my answer include? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It could be anything you described. The more detail the better. Adding details will show that you know what you are talking about.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if the job is networking, I might talk about the user VPNing from home and troubleshooting that

Otherwise I'd probably just talk about troubleshooting router slowness or my home internet when it's acting weird
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Told the user to get off their lazy ass and come to the office."

In all seriousness, I actually helped a past employee of my company with troubleshooting this exact issue yesterday. Home connectivity is best effort. Most of the time you're dealing with educated users who at most know their wi-fi password, and usually they don't even know that because they used the WPS button. That being said, you want to keep your response for support to the user as non-technical as possible. Troubleshooting the basics, wi-fi, browser issues, ip address checking, have them plug into the router versus using wi-fi, etc. If you start getting technical I'd immediately call bullshit on it because you aren't going to get technical with a home user over the phone.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”