Options

EPIC FAIL Cissp

TitchbachTitchbach Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background is 15 years IT, 10 in Infosec. Sooooooo, I failed and really thought I prepared well.

I used:
CBK Study Guide
Sybex 7th edition
ISC2 app tests
CBT Nuggets

I was thought I was preparing really well, I was reading content and knew it. There were areas I was struggling on, for example domain 8 but felt ok about the exam. I studied for 6 weeks, however I knew my study plan was rubbish as I was coming home from work late, and not doing any, but this is no excuse.

I was really nervous day of test, I am lucky test centre is 10 miles away.

Anyway take the test and I knew I had failed as I was reading questions and not understanding what the question was. Timing wasn’t an issue for me, but when I went passed question 100 I knew I had failed. I was stopped before 150.

I am disappointed in myself, not the exam as I felt I should have known what is being asked.

I have bought 8th edition sybex and will give it another go. I want this cert so so bad.

Any tips of how much study you should do a night / weekend?

So never give up, it’s a b**ch but we will all get there.

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should absolutely invest in question banks like Transcender or cccure. Although they suck they at least give you some degree and feel about the level of your preparedness. Sybex book should have their own question bank as well. You are looking to get 80%+ on previously unknown tough questions, this historically shows good chances to pass going to an actual exam.
  • Options
    nb1nb1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the first time as well, just focus on what you didn't do well on and you'll be fine. I just made a point to read each question that seemed off twice. I think that helped me a ton.
  • Options
    roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you did not pass. That is one heck of a test. As I said in another post, understanding concepts seems to be the better study strategy. The straight out questions are easy, but few int his test (like "DES uses what size key?"). Knowing how something works (the process) is more suited for the test (like knowing what ALE is by the description or how the BCP flows). Good luck on your next attempt. You got this!
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the 11th Hour books are solid, thats all i used to pass + BOSON exam simulator. studied for the exam for 6 months and passed the Exam on the 1st try (took me 4 hours to finish). I though the questions were straightforward for the most part, just think like a manager, Don't select questions that Fix anything (some exceptions apply), and human life is always #1.

I think Quizlet is an excellent Free source to organize your thoughts and see what other people have used.
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What were your weak areas based on the result? You could put in more effort in reviewing those, but do not forget the domains where you did well as it may still prove to be a challenge when you take the exam the next time around.

Don't be too hard on yourself as the exam really is tricky that you need to read the question more than once and even when the question is clear, sometimes, it is the choices that are confusing so you need to go over those more than once as well.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    Flyslinger2Flyslinger2 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here was my comment on the ISC(2) member community forum:

"[FONT=&quot]I passed the CAT on 28 Mar of this year in under 2 hours answering 100 questions. Just before the '18 change.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Based on my investigation I knew that ISC(2) had a huge database of questions that could be used for the exam. No amount of time or studying would ever allow me the visibility to all the permutations of questions that could be asked. I knew the exam methodology was CAT based on the published information on their website, the blogosphere and what I learned from my bootcamp instructor. My bootcamp instructor NEVER gave us one question to answer to simulate what is on the test. I'm sure part of it relates to the contract that you have to sign with ISC(2). I bet the largest part is due to the fact that he didn't want us focusing on the question, rather it was the material. I never used any test or quizzing sources. All I did was constantly review the CBK and mentally run the information through probable scenarios that could happen in real life that would require you to make a decision.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This cert is about how you apply information to situations to lower the likelihood of a negative outcome. You have to parse poorly written questions just like you would have to in the real world if someone is in a panic and is trying to relay information to you. You have to choose the best solution out of 4 really crappy options. You have to be able to perform well on IQ tests because this exam is closely related to that.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you know the material well you will know that there are no absolutes. As an example, one question I had the word "All" appeared in three of the answer options. All is an absolute. I clicked the non-All option and moved on. I never read the question! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This exam is about thinking outside the box. If you are conditioned to think linearly, use a checklist of options to arrive at a solution this exam and this certification is not for you. You also have to approach this certification and this exam in context of what your career goals are. If you want to be the next Cloud data center guru this is not the certification for you. If you want to lead a team of highly gifted engineers and interact with management and customers to ensure consistent develop, operations and deprecation of systems securely this is your cert."

I think too many people get wrapped up in the quizzing/testing aspect verses training your mind to think conceptually. If you are technically competent do not review technical data. You are not there to show that you can spit out reams of facts. You need to be able to consume, process, determine and act as a manager. [/FONT]