Options

Need advice

neRForNothingneRForNothing Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I accepted a job just under a year ago to work at one location of the company about 20-30 min from my house. Around two months ago they decided they needed a network resource at the HQ which is two hours from where I live and said they would need me to work there for just three days a week for a month just to get to know the people at this location, then I would go back to my office. Now, I'm supposed to work there fulltime and either commute from where I'm living or relocate to where the HQ is. I've asked them for advice on what I should do and their response is "it's up to you where to live." Are they allowed to change where I'm working when it literally says on the papers I've signed that I'm going to be working out of office X? What should I do because this isn't what I signed up for?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Start looking for another job or move closer to the new location (if feasible).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you gotten any indication anyone in management has been unhappy with your performance? This could certainly be a change in process but it could also be a way of forcing you to quit.

The short answer to "is this allowed" is that it's highly dependent on the laws in your area. I do agree that you should strongly consider looking for a new job.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just to echo EANx, this will vary based on where you live, what the labor laws are in your state/city/etc. and the type of employment practiced there. INAL, but I learned a new term a few years ago that could be (thinly) applicable here, constructive termination. If you live in an at-will state, it likely won't affect you as much. I do know that in some areas unemployment is available to those who have been terminated, but not those who voluntarily quit. This could be used to argue termination if it comes down to you leaving.
  • Options
    neRForNothingneRForNothing Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's actually the opposite, everyone here sucks and they lack a good network engineer. They say I can fit that role because I'm young and they can train me to fit the role they need. I live in Seattle but I don't know what the laws are.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's actually the opposite, everyone here sucks and they lack a good network engineer. They say I can fit that role because I'm young and they can train me to fit the role they need. I live in Seattle but I don't know what the laws are.

They also assume, because you're young, that it will be easy to push you around a bit. Have they said anything about a raise or a promotion? Have they been paying you mileage to drive there?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Age, gender, disability, race, religion, work hours, being deployed, having a spot to breast feed, and minimum wage -- all things I remember mentioned as legal issues in college human resources and from overall work experiences/HR training. I don't remember ever hearing anything about having a right to stay at the location you were hired to work at. Sorry to say it but I think you are screwed.

One thing I do remember was an extra credit assignment to visit my local labor law office to pick up some form as proof of the visit. I bet they'd know better than me on this one. I bet the Seattle one has a phone number and everything.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I accepted a job just under a year ago to work at one location of the company about 20-30 min from my house. Around two months ago they decided they needed a network resource at the HQ which is two hours from where I live and said they would need me to work there for just three days a week for a month just to get to know the people at this location, then I would go back to my office. Now, I'm supposed to work there fulltime and either commute from where I'm living or relocate to where the HQ is. I've asked them for advice on what I should do and their response is "it's up to you where to live." Are they allowed to change where I'm working when it literally says on the papers I've signed that I'm going to be working out of office X? What should I do because this isn't what I signed up for?

Well, you have 2 options
    1. Say this is not part of my signed paper work but they could say its a part of your responsibilities which would sour your working relationships.
    2. Is to do it and and request them to pay your mileage, hotel and a per diem for everyday your there.

I will add this: I once had something like this happen. I was slated to work in the local office about 20-30min from home but was asked to work at another office to fix stuff which was supposed to be about 1 to 2 months ( this site was 1hr away in light traffic) long story short the original office closed so i was stuck commuting 2 hrs per day for about 2 years. I was glad to leave there icon_smile.gif

I would start looking asap
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A family member of mine had this exact situation a few years back. The company did a merger and about a year later moved most of the IT into the city.

He fought it for about 4 months before he was let go. Ultimately if they want someone working in the other office it will be you or it will be someone in your place. Labor laws might buy you time but they wont solve your problem.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could also ask for relocation assistance (i.e. a couple of thousand to cover a new apartment deposit, potentially letting go of your lease, hiring movers, etc) if you actually want to stay at the company and don't mind moving to a new area.

I honestly doubt you'd get it, but if you do, it's generally a good sign they really like you.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Could also ask for relocation assistance (i.e. a couple of thousand to cover a new apartment deposit, potentially letting go of your lease, hiring movers, etc) if you actually want to stay at the company and don't mind moving to a new area.

I honestly doubt you'd get it, but if you do, it's generally a good sign they really like you.
    This was going to be my suggestion. If you are okay moving, have them pay for it. If they just leave you hanging out to dry and say "This is your only option deal with it," then I'd start looking elsewhere if you don't want to do that commute.
  • Options
    yourtechcareeryourtechcareer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you like the job, do the commute. It's only for a month and you may get to know some good people at the HQ. If you are not far along in your career, it's best to be flexible. If the whole experience is rubbing you the wrong way, look for another job in the meantime.