Taking the Security+ a second time

kcbuddykcbuddy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I failed the first time with a 685. I only have 2 more free tries (i go to a CompTIA approved academy) and im pretty nervous about getting it. Are there any tips on what helped you guys pass the exam?

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not from direct experience, but I used to teach Security+ at a previous college. My students had a lot of good feedback watching Professor Messer videos. His content is free on his website www.professormesser.com as well as on Youtube. He has paid content for offline viewing as well.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I failed the first time and then I got Darril Gibson's online resources and book. You won't fail after getting that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kcbuddy wrote: »
    I failed the first time with a 685. I only have 2 more free tries (i go to a CompTIA approved academy) and im pretty nervous about getting it. Are there any tips on what helped you guys pass the exam?

As I have written elsewhere...the most helpful resource in preparing for 401 is the darril gibson android app. Test, test, test. When you are getting close to 90%, then sit the real exam.

If the android app shows you are weak in some areas, then use professor messer youtube videos to review those areas, and TAKE NOTES (with paper and pen, the old-fashioned way)
  • MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whats the policy of taking the second attempt? Can you take it within few days after the first attempt or does it has to be after few weeks? Thank You
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Straight from CompTIA
    In the event that you fail your first (1st) attempt to pass any CompTIA certification examination, CompTIA does not require any waiting period between the first (1st) and second (2nd) attempt to pass such examination. However, before your third (3rd) attempt or any subsequent attempt to pass such examination, you shall be required to wait for a period of at least fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of your last attempt to pass such examination.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • papanjabulopapanjabulo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you guys are helping hey, am writing my N+ Nextweek , am using Techexams practice test , i feel so ready
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont get nervous feel confident!

Use Darril Gibson book and Mike Meyers.
    CBT + IT Pro.

And you will be fine! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank You Spiegel
  • NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have Android, there's also a flashcard app based on Darril Gibson's most recent book called COMPTIA Security+ SY501 and SY401. Just type in Security+ 501. The reviews say its based off of the book, and I like as well. It also offers quizzes and allows you to bookmark whatever you might not understand.
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • BriskNerdBriskNerd Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed my exam as well . I received a 612, you were way closer than I was. I wish you the best of luck on your next exam. If you would like a study partner (virtually) feel free to reach out!
  • TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BriskNerd wrote: »
    I failed my exam as well . I received a 612, you were way closer than I was. I wish you the best of luck on your next exam. If you would like a study partner (virtually) feel free to reach out!

Why do you think you got such a low score? if you don't mind me asking What are your study materials? I have read all Darril Gibson's book SY0-401 (twice now recently I started April 22nd 2018 and finished May 30th and once before back in October of 2015 and took the SY0-401 exam in December of 2015 and FAILED 732/750. I think I was maybe doing half ass studies and was mentally exhausted the day I took the exam because I was trying to cramp to much in so little time and blank out when I took the test also I felt like I hadn't studied some on the topics thoroughly and felt like I didn't recall having certain things in my studies labs for sure messed me up because I was so unprepared for them and also I did run OUT OF TIME on my exam) and now I have been using his online content for practice test and sims, I just bought his iOS app for 401/501 last nigh which i'm going through thoroughly. I feel like I'm having a refresher from before and feel more confident but yet nervous to take the exam again. I did purchase the deluxe bundle with Certmaster and a retake just in case I fail again. Seems like i'm doing exceptionally well on the Darril Gibson's test anywhere between 85%-100% some of my mistakes are because I don't read the question thoroughly. I feel like I have grasp the topics better than my previous attempt. I'm just really nervous because of the vague wording on the test and the sims that can be difficult and vague. Also i completed the CertMaster but I felt like I was scoring an average of about 70-75% because of the vague questions asked. I just blasted through the whole thing in two days just to finish haven't really gone back in to do the smart refreshers on most of them. I spend most of my time studying with Gibsons Materials. I'm not sure how the CertMaster compares with the actual exam being that they are both CompTIA. I just hope WE ALL PASS THIS DAMN EXAM!!!

Dude i took the exam today and got the same score 612 thats way lower than my 1st attempt back in 2015 that was a 732! Im so pissed off!!

Dude i took the exam today and got the same score 612 thats way lower than my 1st attempt back in 2015 that was a 732! Im so pissed off!!