How long to stay at my current gig

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been working as a school district tier 1 building tech for almost two years. I'm a school year employee and techs don't get to spread their pay out over the summer like teachers. There is a chance that I can go year round next year. I think I want to stay for one more school years. I work in a elementary school and I've become attached to my staff and the kids. However, I think I'm at the point that I've topped out of experience and stuff I can learn. Basically, I love my job but I'm getting bored and I can't work 80% of the year the rest of my life. Is this normal to feel tapped out after 2 years in a specific gig? Does anyone have insights or experience with this?

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would this be your first job? Generally depending whether you're starting off your career, you would like to be in the role for a couple of years (5 at the most). After the 2-3 year mark is up, you would assess the situation whether you're gaining any more benefit/experience in the role. If you feel that you're hit the end of the road, try getting a promotion to mix things up, otherwise, you will be looking else wear to elevate your career. When I got my first job, I stayed there for 5 years and was getting promoted to a senior role every one and a half years which help me to stay challenged and engaged. Think of it this way, you're running your business in your own school, if you're not getting value out of your business operating inside of the school, it's a sign that you should move on. I believe you're not being challenged enough leading to think that you have been tapped already within two years. This might be a different story if you were working in a different industry/sector.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you aint learning anymore... there's no reason to be there anymore.

Personally, i think having summers off is a Great thing; but i've been in the game for over a decade.

Use this summer to find yourself a better/year-round job.
    There's not much downside; try it for a month.
    if it doesnt work out... quit the job and return to your School-job in the fall.

my 2 cents :]
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Start applying for new opportunities and see if you get invited to any interviews.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, start applying and see what is out there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    Basically, I love my job but I'm getting bored and I can't work 80% of the year the rest of my life.

There's a lot to be said for enjoying the work you do but if your situation warrants full-year employment then that's what you should be going for. If you can get put on full-time then you just need to address the boredom factor. Are any of the other groups working on projects that you could get involved in? Are there any opportunities for self-improvement during your downtime? Some people will study for certs or if they're going back to school, do homework, etc.