Options

Do you have to be good with Powershell and CMD CLI to pass MCSA exams

Wolverine2349Wolverine2349 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
If you know how to do everything with GUI are you good, or do you need to know powershell cmdlets good?

ANd if you need to know powershell good, do you just need o know cmdlets and what each one does to accomplish something, you don't have to know writing scrips or actually writing code do you?

I am not that good with powershell yet, but I can definitely learn commands. Now scripting or programming on the other hand I am horrible and would never be good at. I am good at the infrastructure side.

Comments

• Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to know both, but PowerShell for sure.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're expected to know PowerShell. You'll need to know what commands to use for certain tasks and some of the properties. You may even need to know the order to run PowerShell commands in order to setup some role or feature.
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only the basics and know what the commands do. They don't expect you to be a PowerShell master.

I'm rubbish at PowerShell but I got through enough exams ok.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to know both the GUI, Powershell, and usually the command line for most things. You'll encounter some questions that will have legacy command lines or similar command lines to the powershell so it is wise to know all of it as much as you can. You'll want to know the most common syntax of many powershell cmdlets as they will throw some syntax questions at you.

As far as actual scripting, I remember a couple of questions that required knowledge of Powershell scripting on my MCSE content but not on my MCSA. Spend some time learning the basics: variables, loops, flow control, etc.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to understand the construction of a typical powershell cmdlet (common verbs and what types of operations they would usually be associated with) and how pipelining works in general.

Be familiar with specific powershell cmdlets related to Server Roles. That plus knowing how PowerShell works in general is usually enough to help you rule out 1/2 of the answer choices of the bat.

Yes, you do need to know some older commands as well, even if it is just knowing that it is another way to accomplish a particular task.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...