Options

Passed CySa+ 31 May 2018

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
Took and passed the CySa+ today.

I signed up to take the beta exam last year but there was an issue at the testing center.

I bought the Sybex book to prep. Slacked off for a few months then finally started reading it cover to cover.

I opted out of doing the labs in the book (bad idea) and the only practice questions I had were the ones in the book.

Tested started off like all CompTIA exams do...simulations. They were related to White and Blue team activities.

Id probably summarize the exam as a cybersecurity technician examination. You get tested on White, Blue and Red methodologies.

I probably should’ve done the labs or skimmed through another book, as there were some definite knowledge gaps in the area of LDAP, Linux, analyzing vulnerability scanning results and a few other terms/definitions.

I was worried when I hit the submit button. Thankfully, the Certification gods blessed me with a win.

My next Certification will be Linux+. Following that SANS 504.

Comments

• Options
    overtheborderovertheborder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Thanks for the info on doing the labs from the book, I'm going to take this in less than a month and completely blew off all of the labs in the sybex book thinking I wouldn't need it.
  • Options
    I’d brush up on Linux permissions, services, Apache, etc.

And being able to conduct a vulnerability scan and analyze the results. Maybe fire up Nessus or Open VAS with a few Linux and Windows VMs. Also being able to parse through logs.
  • Options
    smcmahan309smcmahan309 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass. My first three questions were simulations, which really scared me, but I squeaked by as well. I signed up for the CySA lab simulation on Cybrary, but I didn't think it was helpful. Other books/question banks definitely help though.
  • Options
    roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! icon_thumright.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

Now if you get IT Fundamentals, you'll have the entire line of CompTIA badges. . . :)
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    I think I'm done with CompTIA certifications after Pentest+ and Linux+.

I'm interested in the defensive security side so I plan to pivot to the Elearningsecurity PTS/PTP and a few SANS courses before ultimately pursuing the OSCP.
  • Options
    aliasilyasaliasilyas Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□