Options

Should I.T guys be worried about outsourcing, etc?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Basically, alot of people say that I.T jobs are being outsourced or hand to to H1B visa people, is this really as a big a problem as people (who usually dont work in I.T) make it out to be?

Comments

• Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »
    Basically, alot of people say that I.T jobs are being outsourced or hand to to H1B visa people, is this really as a big a problem as people (who usually dont work in I.T) make it out to be?

Make yourself marketable and never stop learning/adapting to the IT trends. If you make yourself an asset and marketable, you'll always have work regardless of where it is.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on what you do and who you do it for. Programmers are more likely to be outsourced than sysadmins who are more likely to be outsourced than storage engineers. And private corporations are more likely to outsource than the US Government.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, it is a problem (for the first world dwellers, of course, not for H1Bs and remote workers) and it keeps the wages lower than they would be without it, to the benefit of the superrich.
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rather than being outsourced, did you consider robots taking over your job? https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DZA_ wrote: »
    Rather than being outsourced, did you consider robots taking over your job?

Actually I believe the robots jobs were outsourced to the Philippines, lots of out of work robots on skid row now.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The answer to that was yes...but with Disney and several other companies being drug through the mud over replacing close to entire IT staffs with outsourced workers, I would say no. What they are doing is relying on companies like Tata to do that for them and then supply bodies. That way they are off the hook for dealing with H1Bs. I see too many jobs now stating they will not support or sponsor. But that can always be dealt with by having a third party handle the visa muck. I would be more concerned with SDN, SDI, and AI. Learn that and you're golden.
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »

Should you worry? No, largely because worrying is counterproductive.

That said, you will not need to worry if you continuously build and refine a portfolio of talents, skills, experiences, and relationships, since there will always be work of some kind to be done.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Depends on what you do and who you do it for. Programmers are more likely to be outsourced than sysadmins who are more likely to be outsourced than storage engineers. And private corporations are more likely to outsource than the US Government.

Not entirely true. Federal and state government IT is filled with contractors - that's work that's been outsourced though not offshored to say, India.

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

(Yoda)
  • Options
    roxer wrote: »
    I would be more concerned with SDN, SDI, and AI.

THIS.

You hit the nail on the head.

I would throw in the cloud, too. Basically, the more automation and standardization, the fewer people are needed - and even Indians working for pennies on the dollar can't compete with zero.

(Yoda)
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not entirely true. Federal and state government IT is filled with contractors - that's work that's been outsourced though not offshored to say, India.

The OP specifically referenced H1-Bs. The only generic "outsourcing" was in the title. Even discounting those jobs that require a clearance, most Federal jobs (I deliberately didn't mention non-Federal) require public trust which would be difficult for an H1-B to get.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    H1Bs are becoming less common now, seeing that inside a global company that used to transfer some guys every now and then to the US (CCIEs and etc, really good guys). Now, thats just over. It got extremely hard to get transferred to the US.
    If it is hard for people who actually knows their stuff, you shouldnt worry about that anymore.
    On the other hand, there are robots, automation, etc. Thats the real deal.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every job is being automated and outsourced as much as possible.

The real question is does that mean you should give up? I say try to be good at what you do and adapt to your circumstances.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry if this isn't helpful but remember as new technology, regulations, and life changes...new jobs are created. So yes some jobs will be automated and/or outsourced but don't think forget about all the potential jobs that do not even exist yet.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    overcome.jpg

Stay stagnant and yes that is an issue you may face. I've worked at companies that outsourced then reinsourced 2 years later because of the Quality of Service hit. Keep your skills up. You don't have to know EVERYTHING but should be able to adapt easily and you'll be fine.